Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First studio style shot

C & C welcome
    Last edited by @imagesBV; 16-03-2011, 17:07.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Re: First studio style shot

Hi Brian, Lovely Dog, good first effort.

The dog itself seems OK eposure wise - the selection around the front legs and bottom half of the dog are a bit unatural, sorry mate. Feel free to post the unedited version for comments.

Trev

Comment

Seems like you have cut the dog out ......... or parts of it ???? Maybe re-visit your PP and feather the edges a bit?
      Cheers Mark

www.ms-photo.co.uk

Comment

Thanks guys, I will experiment with feathering - I use Paint Shop Pro by the way.
        I agree it looks cut out, some of the edges (at the bottom) are caused only by the sheet that the dog was lying on.
        Any other comments welcome...
        Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

i wouldn't really bother with trying to cut it out... Hair is notoriously difficult to cut out.

Better off going to staples or office world and getting a roll of white poster paper for £2.99

Comment

why didn't I think of that....thanks
            Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Best on a hard surface Brian, your dog is sinking into the comfy bed (or whatever) with the white sheet on it. That's what's causing this "cut out" look.

Trev

Comment

Yip Trevor is right. The other difficulty will be getting the floor white even if you use paper. You do need to make a rough selection (doesn't need to be exact) but make a reasonable sized feather before brightening the rest of the image. this will leave a nice soft shadow providing a base for the dog/subject so they don't look like they are floating .

Also be careful of the redeye.
                5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

what I do when shooting animals on a plain surface like this is to place a large stool or other raised platform surface under the fabric, in this way the animal sits on rather than in the fabric . (It also raises the animal above ground level and makes it a bit easier on my knees! )
                  My camera is helping to look at the world more closely, then record what I see to share with others.

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com

Comment

Cutting out is good fun and very rewarding when you first do it, but then comes plenty of practice to refine your technique. One of the problems of making a selection and placing it on a neutral white backgroundis that it appears to float. The clever trick is never to cut out if you can avoid it and that means taking some time to set things up with the right equipment. Experience is all about learning, remembering and making a few mistakes along the way. I appreciate that can be difficult when the creative juices are flowing and the dog is in a receptive mood, but that extra couple of minutes set-up can make all the difference.

Generally, anything lit casts a shadow, so as previously suggested, a hard suface covered with white paper,or cloth, would give the desired effect. Even a small weak shadow "places" the subject and makes it believable.

All that aside, they are good fun shots that show the character of your dog, which is what animal portraiture is all about.

Colin
                    Colin

Comment

thanks guys, it takes a good few miles to ware him out so that theres a chance he will stay still for anything like long enough - then I have to get over my own exhaustion while setting up.
                      I'll make ready before his walk next time!
                      Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
                        Thanks guys, I will experiment with feathering - I use Paint Shop Pro by the way.
                        I agree it looks cut out, some of the edges (at the bottom) are caused only by the sheet that the dog was lying on.
                        Any other comments welcome...
                        Try using a black background i think he will look much better

Comment

Also tough to look right if the dog is lying on it....
                          5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Working...
                          X