Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bluebells close up

Hi All

I have been experimenting with alighting set up I read about by Niall Benvie, who is a professional nature photographer.

This is a test shot and I intend to go out to the bluebell woods and repeat in situ.

Comments welcome. 5DMKII + 100mm f2.8 macro + STE3 and 2 600RTs off the camera

John

Bluebell 2-0072 by mistral105, on Flickr

Re: Bluebells close up

That is really lovely - very delicate in style and colour.

Comment

Hi David? Thank you - I wanted something different from the usual bluebell images I have. Reminds me of the books I have seen in the Nat History museum that were drawn by artists to show different species. Regards John

Comment

You've certainly succeeded in getting his style. quite like what its done to the blue of the petals. Agree it makes it look like a species book.
        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
        Di's Flickr

Comment

John, I like the concept, style and the set up of the bluebell but feel that it is a little over exposed

Comment

Thanks Di - have you seen Niall's work? John

Comment

Hi Muscat - have a look at Niall's website - the over exposed background is deliberate and reveals the delicate textures. Thanks for the comments John

Comment

John, I agree with using the white background which certainly can and does show the delicate textures but I feel the stem and flowers are lacking in colour, I have looked at Niall's website and think he has more colour and contrast in his flowers.

You have done a great job and this is not meant as a negative criticism. I just feel that 1/2 to 1 stop less exposure would still bring out a lovely white background with all the detail, posibly even more detail as some I think is being lost with over exposure, and put more colour in the stem and bloom.

Comment

Thanks for the reply - I take the comments as constructive - I sent my first attempts to Niall and he recommended more light - I will experiment more as I really liked his images - the set up is very quick to do and gives good results - I will continue to experiment further - I am going into the garden to see if I can find some snails, slugs and beetles - John

Comment

Originally posted by mistral105 View Post
                    Thanks Di - have you seen Niall's work? John
                    Only via google.
                    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                    Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by mistral105 View Post
                      I will continue to experiment further - I am going into the garden to see if I can find some snails, slugs and beetles - John
                      Good news John I also like the image and do look forward to seeing more of your shots, happy snail hunting, if you need any we have loads

Comment

Thanks Muscat - found some snails - John

Comment

Working...
                        X