This was my entry for camera club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was my entry for camera club

Didn't do well as I was marked down for desaturation.

Critique welcome.

TULIPS.jpg
    JASON

Re: This was my entry for camera club

Judges eh, what do they know. I like it even though it's desaturated
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Jason
      I'd probably agree with the desaturation, and you appear to fly in the face of the rule of thirds. But actually, the photo looks better for it! Nice composition. Maybe try slightly more saturation (just to see if the judge was right) and a lighter background.
      I like it.
      Steve

Comment

Could have sworn I'd wrote something for this.

My two penny worth - Only thing I'd change is I would clone the vertical drop at the end of the petals on the bottom tulip as it seems to really stand out against the diagonal of the other droplets. I quite like the desaturation. One of my best photos is a desaturated rose, imho, sometimes we miss detail because of colour.

please feel free to ignore.
        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
        Di's Flickr

Comment

Having been entering competitions at camera club for 6 years now, I can tell you no two judges are the same and its likely if you put the shot in front of a different judge you would get an entirely different reaction.

I like the composition and the water drops but for me the desaturation makes the image look a bit flat.

Stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

Thanks all points taken on board, I'll have a fiddle
            JASON

Comment

Jason

As an ex Judge, if you had put this in front of me, it would have been marked high.

I assume out in the rain, could be a watering can, but I like the idea of the rain. I also give credit for the author doing something different, as so many entries are copies, or interpretations of what was in last months Photo Magazine. I like the placement in the frame and the contrasting diagonals: of the flower heads, the stems and the direction of the rain. For whatever reason it is desaturated and I must assume that it is deliberate, so understanding that ............... do I like the effect? Yes, it suits the subject and the conditions under which it was shot and what a refreshing change from photographers that feel the need to oversaturate everything they do. The out of focus background is unobtrusive and compliments the subject and I encourage other members to look at this more than once, as it improves even more with further viewing and the desaturation adds to the subtlety of the image.

I always used to judge in context with the others entries on the night, hoping to award at least one ten, the maximum in my area. In my eyes, if this one didn't get it, I would love to see the shot that beat it. Jason, judges are all different, but at the very least, they should be able to recognise quality. Be true to yourself and take images for you, not judges and if this is an example, you are doing well.
              Colin

Comment

That much water and it's not saturated? I like it. I'm sure it could be changed a dozen different ways to get a dozen different feelings and looks out of it. It could also be left as is with a perfectly good look as it is.

Comment

Many thanks for taking time to comment Colin your opinion counts a lot.
                  JASON

Comment

Working...
                  X