• Show
Clear All

Johnson's blue

Gerainium Johnson's blue

Geranium Johnson's blue by Chris Cangialosi

Canon EOS 60D
    EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    Chris

60D, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM,
    EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 EX DC

Re: Johnson's blue

that works Chris - love the OOF background, I'm starting to prefer these types of backgrounds to the blackout ones, but its not easy finding the flower and keeping an eye on whats going on behind
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

My thoughts are the same as Ian's.
      Backgrounds can make or break a picture and selecting the right one - even if it is available - can be difficult.

David

Comment

Originally posted by CountDavid View Post
        Backgrounds can make or break a picture and selecting the right one - even if it is available - can be difficult.

David
        one of the local garden centers is happy for me to walk around with my camera and tripod - but most of the photos are in cluttered locations so have to loose the background completely, often just with a ring flash method

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
          that works Chris - love the OOF background, I'm starting to prefer these types of backgrounds to the blackout ones, but its not easy finding the flower and keeping an eye on whats going on behind
          Thanks Ian. I thought you might like it and thought you would recognise the background processing. Its your favourite of the day, none other than...Radial Blur!!!

Backgrounds can be messy and difficult to manage. You could: Use a printed A4 sheet (colour/deign of your choice) and put behind the flower. Get the background out of focus with depth of field settings. Cut the flower and photo in doors/studio set up. Cut the flower in photoshop and do what you want with the background then paste flower back. Probably trying to teach you how to suck eggs though, I guess you know all this.

As for the black background I will have to carry on with this for the forseeable future. But I do like the blur effects.
          Chris

60D, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM,

Comment

problem is most of my flower photos are garden center work so I'm limited what I can get away with .....and we sadly don't all have the luxury of your well stocked flower garden ;o)

I find the back background photos look a bit sterile almost text book style , where as the natural ones look more like nature photos, if you see where I'm coming from - its almost like two different genres in photography, both have a place and both offer something completely different

Comment

one of the local garden centers is happy for me to walk around with my camera and tripod - but most of the photos are in cluttered locations so have to loose the background completely, often just with a ring flash method
              A not-so-local-to-me nursery let me loose and found me some space in a poly tunnel. I had a table with me and was able to move plants from their stock position to get to my table. Had some flash set up (580 and 430) and a white background.
              I prefer to photograph flowers in situ but that is not always possible - so sometimes a specimen has to be picked!

David

Comment

thats a very accommodating garden center, I'm just allowed to walk around and move things a little ....

Comment

problem is most of my flower photos are garden center work so I'm limited what I can get away with .....and we sadly don't all have the luxury of your well stocked flower garden ;o)

I find the back background photos look a bit sterile almost text book style , where as the natural ones look more like nature photos, if you see where I'm coming from - its almost like two different genres in photography, both have a place and both offer something completely different
                  You could always buy the plant from the nursery
                  As for black backgrounds I use these for a botanical/horticultural data base which serve the purpose well. The black backgrounds I post here are not required or don't make the grade.
                  I do prefer a softer background for natural photos and I am finding more time to pursue this, so more of this type will be posted in future hopefully.
                  Chris

Comment

Originally posted by CountDavid View Post

David
                    Thanks David.
                    Chris

Comment

Originally posted by chrisec View Post
                      You could always buy the plant from the nursery
                      As for black backgrounds I use these for a botanical/horticultural data base which serve the purpose well. The black backgrounds I post here are not required or don't make the grade.
                      I do prefer a softer background for natural photos and I am finding more time to pursue this, so more of this type will be posted in future hopefully.
                      now that could get very expensive ;o)...

I think we are both heading down the same "natural" route - although my GC ones will probably be blackouts

Comment

Well done Chris

Tom

Comment

Superb Chris, really like that very much. Enjoyed reading the debate between natural and plain backgrounds, I prefer something natural but understand it's not always possible or the right thing to do.
                          Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                            Well done Chris

Tom
                            Thanks Tom
                            Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Parsen66 View Post
                              Superb Chris, really like that very much. Enjoyed reading the debate between natural and plain backgrounds, I prefer something natural but understand it's not always possible or the right thing to do.
                              Thanks Alan.
                              Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X