Close clover with flash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Close clover with flash

So I tried using flash (built-in) on a close-up to give a bit of lift as suggested on a previous post. Picked the clover flower as its not flat so flash should help. I think it has helped but would warrant your thoughts.

IMG_9702 by Neil Richardson, on Flickr
    Neil

Re: Close clover with flash

I think if you chopped off the left hand side of the image to concentrate on the flower it would be better. It looks like either the flash or exposure has brightened the background as well. If I were using flash on this, I would put the camera in manual mode and set 1/160, f 8, ISO 100 and assuming you are using a speedlite rather than on board flash, set that too, to manual @ 1/4 power the idea being that the background will be underexposed, leaving the flash to cope with the exposure of the flower. Take a test shot and adjust the flash output up or down depending if it is too dark or light

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

On board flash only. Found out more today about science of flash so will try some more shots. Thanks for detail info Stan.
      Neil

Comment

I think it may still work woth the on board flash. Still use the camera manual settings but vary the flash output using + or - flash exposure compensation. Worth trying

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
          I think if you chopped off the left hand side of the image to concentrate on the flower it would be better. It looks like either the flash or exposure has brightened the background as well. If I were using flash on this, I would put the camera in manual mode and set 1/160, f 8, ISO 100 and assuming you are using a speedlite rather than on board flash, set that too, to manual @ 1/4 power the idea being that the background will be underexposed, leaving the flash to cope with the exposure of the flower. Take a test shot and adjust the flash output up or down depending if it is too dark or light

Stan
          ...right on the money - agree

as its the onboard flash try defusing as that will make for a softer light
          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Thanks Stan, will try the compensation.

Ian - best advice on defusing (remembering I have no flash kit)?
            Neil

Comment

Originally posted by neilrich1966 View Post
              Thanks Stan, will try the compensation.

Ian - best advice on defusing (remembering I have no flash kit)?
              you could try anything to break the flash up, try placing some white cloth over the flash and just experiment using different things, maybe something like white plastic also
              Last edited by Tigger; 07-06-2015, 09:50.
              :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Will give it a go. Thanks.
                Neil

Comment

Working...
                X