• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valentine Tulips

Just about to fade and die - my Valentine Tulips

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]
    To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Re: Valentine Tulips

Nice pictures and lovely colours with loads of detail in the bloom and stamen, what lens were you using for these?

For #1 I may have had a play with cropping to possibly a square format to reduce the bright green leaf on the right and similarly for #3 I think the picture may be improved by trimming to the edge of the petal that curls over at the left, it would remove the bright colour and focus your attention much more on the lovely detail in the flower and stamen. Just my thoughts not meant as criticism

Comment

Hi Muscat, thanks for the comments - I am here to learn and appreciate you taking time to give me your opinion which I will take on board. I was using my 18 - 55 IS lens that came with my camera. Would love a decent macro lens as I enjoy taking close ups.

Joanne
      To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Comment

You have done a great job with the 18-55 lens, have you though about extension tubes or close up lens to the front of your existing 18-55 this would be cheaper than buying a full blown macro lens. The following are some notes from a post that John Barker added a little while ago, he has posted some great pictures using these items,

"Of course you can get in closer by adding some extension tubes behind the camera, or you can add a close up filter in front of the lens – these come in 2 types, simple and cheap single element units and double lens (achromatic) which will give better quality results. The cheapest option may be using a close up filter on a standard lens, I have seen great results from a 50mm with a Raynox DCR-250 (this is a +8 dioptre filter, which allows the camera to focus at around 12cm), you are quite close to the object, adding a simple teleconverter can improve the working distance. "

Comment

I can only see one of the pics now, no 2. nice shot though. I went the route of extension tubes rather than buying a macro lens at this stage. well worth if you ask me.
          David

EOS 1000D EFS18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Kenko DG Extension Tubes

Please bare with me on replies to your comments as my work commitments keep me away from here during the week.
          All of your comments and advice are gratefully received and appreciated though

Comment

Working...
          X