Interesting tree growth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting tree growth

I took this yesterday with my new camera, any feedback would be appreciated.
    I tried to get the whole tree in focus but it didnt work out.
    F/5.6
    1/200sec
    ISO 400

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Mikehope; 15-05-2011, 14:45.

Re: Interesting tree growth

I'd re crop and take the worst of the oof trunk off. Would probably take a little off on the left as well to move the trunk more onto the third... more experience members on the forum will probably be able to tell you why it wasn't all infocus at the time.
    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
    Di's Flickr

Comment

Hi Mike

Interesting shot, and weird tree growth indeed...

A basic rule is that the depth of field will increase with a higher 'f' number. Higher 'f' numbers mean the aperture is smaller, so you need more time exposure for the same amount of light to get to the sensor.

Your shot was at f5.6. @ 1/200. You would have the same exposure level with f8 @ 1/100 and onwards, with each 'f' stop halving the amount of light, so you'd need to double the amount of time the shutter needs to be open. You can really increase your depth of field by using a tripod and using a remote shutter release to keep the camera steady, or alternatively, use a lens with image stabilisation. Both these will allow you to use higher 'f' numbers, requiring much longer exposure times, for the same exposure, but increased depth of field.

When I bought my camera, I experimented in the garden. Keep the same ISO, set either to shutter or aperture priority, and take the same shot, from the same point at the same subject, but change the shutter / aperture setting. The camera will change whichever setting you are NOT changing, to keep the shot correctly exposed. You will see from your shots that the higher 'f' number shots have more in focus i.e. a greater depth of field.

Hope that helps, and I'm not confusing you - sorry if I am though! Not easy to describe written down!

All the best, and good luck. Mike.
      flickr
      5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Thanks for the feedback and pointers, good to remember for each f stop 1/2 the shutter speed.

Comment

Working...
        X