Wracks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wracks

An ambition for the year is to record lots of stuff on the seashore along the Gower coast in Wales. Posted some lichens as "Starting at the Top" in this plant forum and have now moved on to some of the algae - the seaweeds, starting with some of the browns known as the Wracks.
    Usually seen as slippery masses as here -

Looking at them more closely, starting high up the shore - here's the Channelled Wrack (Pelvetia canaliculata) -

This one spends the majority of its time out of water and can tolerate a lot of drying. The Channelled Wrack name comes clear if you turn it over - the frond is folded into a channel that can hold water and help them stay moist for longer. Taken at the same time as the above it looks much damper -

Found a bit lower down the shore, and unable to stand quite so much dessication, is the Flat Wrack, Fucus spiralis (sometimes called the spiral wrack because its fronds often twist) -

This next one tolerates even less drying, so is found further down the shore. It's the Bladder Wrack, Fucus vesiculosus -

The bladders help it float in the water up into the light when the tide is in.

A bit lower, and able to take even less drying out, is another of the Fucoids, the Serrated Wrack (or Saw Wrack), Fucus serratus, with its serrated edge -

Next trip will need the wellies.... and a tripod to help catch some of the little creatures that live under and within the weeds.

First 3 shots, 50D + EF24-105L, last 3 shots 50D + EF100mm Macro.

Cheers, Chris.
    Just chuggin' along.

Re: Wracks

Very nice clear pics. I love them all. Keep them coming.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

More please.
      Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
      Di's Flickr

Comment

I agree with the other comments keep them coming I find it very interesting to have the names and detail of the plant great work and I hope your wellies keep you dry

Comment

The macro shots are interesting, the last one looks almost like the 'leaves' of a 'Christmas Cacti'. I admit that to me rocks and rock pools are places to help my children look for crabs and shell fish, I have never given the vegetation a second thought, I will look a little closer next time.
          Regards

Keith

My Flickr

Comment

Great images, I was brought up on the South Wales coast and would love popping the seaweed when the tide would go out. It's nice to know what I was popping and you have made your images all the more interesting with the details added. Well done keep it coming.

Joanne
            To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Comment

Blimey, good photos and a nature lesson included for free . . . . what more could you want.
              very nice work Chris.

PS; with regard to the next chapter, I do hope your kit is insured!
              David

EOS 1000D EFS18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Kenko DG Extension Tubes

Please bare with me on replies to your comments as my work commitments keep me away from here during the week.
              All of your comments and advice are gratefully received and appreciated though

Comment

Working...
              X