Roses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roses

I'd welcome any advice/comments on these, I've not dabbled with flowers for some time....each rose was set up in a clamp in front of a black card, as single speed light with trigger - R6 and RF100-500. (the first is two flashes and RF 24-105STM). In both arrangements I bounced the flash off the ceiling - manual flash settings. Processed in Affinity Photo.

Rose3sq by brianvickers, on Flickr

Red Rose 1 by brianvickers, on Flickr

White Rose 1 by brianvickers, on Flickr

Red Rose 2 by brianvickers, on Flickr

White Rose 2 by brianvickers, on Flickr
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

All good, but the last is my favourite. Lovely tonal range in those whites, with gentle shadows. Similar to the third, but the portrait crop suits the subject better.
    Colin

Comment

Great set Brian it’s No 4 for me
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Great set Brian.
        7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Lovely shots Brian, I like Nos.1 & 4 best, No.1 for the colour and that it fills the frame, No.4 as it has the rose and stem.

However, you did invite comments...

Whenever I have taken pics of flowers depth of field has always been the issue, personally I like to see all of it in focus. If you don't mind me saying, to small degree, all your pics have the same issue; the front of each rose is sharper than the back.

I haven't a solution as I have done little of this myself, all I can offer is some thoughts. I did a quick DoF calc based on the assumption that the distance to the rose was 1.5m and using your f stops and it was +/- 1cm. If you go up to F22 it's +/- 2cm so it may be worth trying that with the focus set on the centre of the rose, that might be just enough (you might need to manually focus). The only thing that did improve the DoF was to reduce the focal length, it was quite a bit bigger at 24mm.

Here is a radical thought, how about a focus stack of a few shots with the total exposure distributed across the number of shots? If you're using flash indoors this would have to be done manually of course but using permanent lighting would make it a bit easier. I did a focus stack of a large bloom in the garden last year and that worked well but I did have daylight.

Despite the above ramblings these are still great shots and well controlled especially with the reds

Ian
          Last edited by Farider; 24-03-2024, 00:15.
          Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Thanks Ian….thats great..".I have a small LED panel, so I could set that up and try the focus stacking idea. I was concerned about stopping down to such small apertures as f22 considering lens aberration. I’m on the fence regarding the preference for front to back sharpness …on the one hand I like technical perfection and the other happy to accept photographic character provided by some soft focus….
            I might have a go at the stacking idea….might have to buy some fresh roses for my wife first.

Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Since they're way better than anything I'd probably manage I'll settle for a simple ...

Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

I think they are all great images Brian.

As to comprehensive or front to back focus, I feel it is entirely a personal preference - a case of judging each subject/composition on its individual merits methinks (although I will confess to a predeliction for complete focus).

My choice with respect to the red roses would be for the first version, simply because in the second the leaves and stem are more prominent (both brighter and more of them visible) and perhaps take a little of the emphasis from the bloom itself.

All in all, 10 out of 10 and a GOLD STAR.
                John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Nice photos

Comment

Expanding on Ian's comments and with my "Judges" hat on, I feel you need to make an obvious statement with your intent on these images.

Either: everything has to be pin sharp from front to back - achieved by stopping down to F22, or focus stacking. Now that I have tried it a few times, I would favour focus stacking.

Or: open up the aperture to have just the centre pin sharp, with the focus softening towards the edges. Take shots at different F stops to vary the amount of softening to get a result that pleases you.

Each of the above options would demonstrate a deliberate intention and not provide a Judge with any ammunition to criticise.

Hope that helps.
                    Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post

Each of the above options would demonstrate a deliberate intention and not provide a Judge with any ammunition to criticise.

Hope that helps.
                      Like that would stop some (many?) judges...

Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

I've intentionally avoided formal judgement for good reason I think......I respect the opinions of this forum's members much more.....and Ill take the 10/10Gold Star from John anyday and heed the improvemen opportunities from others with equal value.
                        Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

All 5 photos are great!
                          Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Comment

Working...
                          X