Flower ID, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flower ID, please

Anyone know the name of this wildflower, please? Much liked by bees.

Re: Flower ID, please

The more I look at it, it looks like a variety of the stinging nettle we used to have one in the garden - no sting - but I think the flowers where slightly different on ours. Sorry not a lot of help I know.
    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
    Di's Flickr

Comment

Yes, a Dead nettle I think. I hvae googled it and it could possibly be Black Horehound or a Woundwort - except the seedheads look so prickly.

Comment

Found this, I know the flowers are a white rather than purple, but if you click on the picture it comes up bigger and you can see the detail and the seed heads.

Natutal medicine can heal your body and mind. Medicinal herbs: White Dead Nettle (Lamium album)
        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
        Di's Flickr

Comment

Not sure that it's red dead-nettle - that has leaves that are quite heart-shaped.
          I think it is Common Hemp-Nettle - Galeopsis tetrahit. This has longer leaves, rather like those of hemp (or cannabis, not that any forum users would recognise the leaves of that), "spiky bits" around the flower bases, and is quite hairy - look at the stem in your photo - the red dead-nettle is hairless. Its flowers can vary from pink to white.
          Have a look at the pictures in this link - they show the white variant as the larger picture with the pink one as a smaller inset - http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/hempnettle.htm
          Woundwort has longer bits of stem between the rings of flowers and lacks the dense mass of prickly bits - if you want a bit of fun find a woundwort, crush a leaf and smell it. You'll know why it is called woundwort.... and you'll curse me for suggesting it....

Hope that's useful.
          Cheers. Chris.
          Last edited by Chris J; 08-08-2011, 19:25.
          Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Thanks Chris - am sure you are right, I have read also that it grows in arable land - it is in a field of beans - it is now developing very burr-like seedheads - wouldn't know about the shape of leaves on the hemp plant!!
            I suddenly find that I don't know the names of many of the wild flowers that I see every day, so am going to try to rectify that!!

Comment

Working...
            X