Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tarantula Molt (avoid if you don't like spiders)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tarantula Molt (avoid if you don't like spiders)

Got home last night to discover my Tarantula part way through her 3rd Molt. She is a Giant White Knee (Acanthoscurria geniculata )about 18 months old. She was the size of a 50 pence piece when I got her, about the size of a coaster now.

If you have not seen a spider do this before it can be quite freaky. They make a web, then flip over and lay down on their back in it. Then they basically push off their old exoskeleton. The back part of their body opens and by increasing their blood pressure and flexing to expand their new body, they squeeze out of their old body. Takes about 6 hours start to finish.

Imagine lying on your back and trying to get out of a boiler suit via a zip on the back.

Technically not the best photos but considering the circumstances I was quite pleased with them, taken with my 60D, on tripod, using 55-250 lens from about 1.2m away, camera on macro. Indoors lighting and through glass! Really must invest in a Macro lens.

I'll put the full set on my web site soon but thought I'd show a selection here too. Hope its not too many.

She will sleep in a ball to recover for a while, but I'll post a couple of photos of her when shes up and about in her new clothes.

The legs sticking up the air will now be empty, new ones underneath.

Spider Molt_0 by Swoosh 2, on Flickr

Spider Molt_1 by Swoosh 2, on Flickr

Spider Molt_2 by Swoosh 2, on Flickr

Almost done!

Spider Molt_5 by Swoosh 2, on Flickr

This is why they are such good climbers, cropped shot of the tips of her feet, the white things are her fangs! about 10mm.

Spider Molt_7 by Swoosh 2, on Flickr
    Last edited by secondintime; 10-03-2012, 15:11.
    Previously "The Real Swoosh"

My Blog..HERE....My website.....SECONDINTIME.....Flickr HERE..... 500px HERE

EOS 60D, EF- 70-200 L (non is), EF-24-105 L, EF-17-40 L , EF 100mm Macro, , EF 50mm II, 580 EX II, Canon S90. Kids Kit. EOS 500D, EF-S 18-55mm, EF-S 55-250mm IS Manfrotto 3405B Tripod. Hama Compact pro Tripod. Giottos MTL 9351B Tripod, Giottos MH 1300 Head, Manfrotto 790B Monopod. Billingham Hadley Pro. Lowepro 202AW Slingshot Bag.

Re: Tarantula Molt (avoid if you don't like spiders)

Not my favourite creature. Will not comment as I'm not qualified. We used to avoid these creatures in my part of the world as they had a nasty bite.
    Last edited by Nathaniel; 31-01-2012, 11:10.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Latest news: Spider man has a web site
      ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
        Not my favourite creature. Will not comment as I'm not qualified. We used to avoid these creatures in my part of the world as they had a nasty bite.
        This particular breed can be quite aggressive. I don't handle it, put it that way. Their bite is considered to be 3 or 4 times more painful than a hornet sting. They can also flick hairs which are very irritating. To be honest I leave her well alone, best for her and me, just fascinating to watch. Ferocious feeder. Very very quick.

EOS 60D, EF- 70-200 L (non is), EF-24-105 L, EF-17-40 L , EF 100mm Macro, , EF 50mm II, 580 EX II, Canon S90. Kids Kit. EOS 500D, EF-S 18-55mm, EF-S 55-250mm IS Manfrotto 3405B Tripod. Hama Compact pro Tripod. Giottos MTL 9351B Tripod, Giottos MH 1300 Head, Manfrotto 790B Monopod. Billingham Hadley Pro. Lowepro 202AW Slingshot Bag.

Comment

YOu are indeed a bold man to keep that as a "pet". I hate spiders of all kinds and a tarantula at that! I'd have nightmares about it escaping and creeping up the bed!!! eerie! eerie thought!
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
            YOu are indeed a bold man to keep that as a "pet". I hate spiders of all kinds and a tarantula at that! I'd have nightmares about it escaping and creeping up the bed!!! eerie! eerie thought!
            Just like the James Bond (Sean Connery) scene.

Peter, I will never visit you in Stoke with that spider.
            In the final image what are those black hook things on it's legs?

Thank you for sharing (I think).

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS2 View Post
              Just like the James Bond (Sean Connery) scene.

Peter, I will never visit you in Stoke with that spider.
              In the final image what are those black hook things on it's legs?

Thank you for sharing (I think).
              They are claws, 2 on the end of each leg, that's why they can climb straight up glass like its a rock face. Don't go to Stoke to see me, not lived there since I was 16.

Comment

Originally posted by The Real Swoosh View Post
                Don't go to Stoke to see me, not lived there since I was 16.
                LOL

Comment

Don't fib - the hooks are there to flail your flesh off your bones before you have a chance to wake up. . . . . .

Terrific shot's of one the marvels of nature BUT spiders still make my skin crawl - sorry

.DAVID. [checking all around]
                  Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Working...
                  X