The Giant Slug and the Small Apple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Giant Slug and the Small Apple

I really liked the title of Judder Man's photo here: http://www.eos-magazine-forum.com/sh...ant-Butter-Cup so thought I'd emulate the creativity and go with The Giant Slug and the Small Apple for this photo.

Large Red Slug - Arion ater - Gavin Hamilton by GavHamilton, on Flickr

Yet another snap from my backyard.
    camera 20D -
    lens: Canon 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6
    1/800
    ƒ/5.6
    ISO 400
    200 mm
    Sorry I've not been around much. Sadly the ankle surgery and carpal tunnel surgery have both been unsuccessful, so have to wait and see what happens next. I hope to be shooting a lot more in the future!

Twitter: @PicturesqueScot

Re: The Giant Slug and the Small Apple

Nicely done

Tom

Comment

Certainly is a big lunch for the happy slug. Well spotted, looks like a low angle "ground zero" shot. Like the rich colours as well. Was the slug moving very fast @ 1/800 sec (Joking)
      An Image in Time is a Stepping Stone to Eternity

Comment

Thanks guys!

Originally posted by Judder Man View Post
        Was the slug moving very fast @ 1/800 sec (Joking)
        LOL. Nah have a mild form of cerebral palsy (why I keep breaking myself), but it means I shake a lot, so everything has to be done fast or with a tripod.
        Sorry I've not been around much. Sadly the ankle surgery and carpal tunnel surgery have both been unsuccessful, so have to wait and see what happens next. I hope to be shooting a lot more in the future!

Comment

Originally posted by kiwigav View Post
          Thanks guys!

LOL. Nah have a mild form of cerebral palsy (why I keep breaking myself), but it means I shake a lot, so everything has to be done fast or with a tripod.
          Didn,t realise, will factor that in on your exif data next time I critique.
          An Image in Time is a Stepping Stone to Eternity

Comment

I'm really hoping that the apple is really small. Hostas have no chance really do they.
            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
            Di's Flickr

Comment

LOL DeeGee, those leaves in the pic are the leaves of a buttercup, the apple is on the small size, although the large red slug can get up to almost 20cms long!

Hostas work well near ponds and hedges where frogs, toads and hedgehogs live, they take care of those slugs quick smart, even foxes if you can get a few of them in the garden they'll get rid of many pests even faster!

However if you're a fan of Japanese cooking, like I am, the slugs normally don't have a chance to get near the hostas as I've taken many of the new leaves ;)

Originally posted by Judder Man View Post
              Didn,t realise, will factor that in on your exif data next time I critique.
              LOL an EXIF that says cerebral palsy love that idea! A while back I was on stage with Francesca Martinez (the actress from TV show Extras) in Edinburgh, we were discussing the best (if there is such a thing ) amount of CP to have. If there was a thing that said "Expect high ISO and/or dark photos" that'd be the perfect EXIF for me! May just be the booze talking, but I love this idea! a

Comment

Yuck

I cant stand slugs and one of the few things I wont shoot

Your shot is quite nice though

Stan
                Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                flickr

Comment

I like the colours on this as well.
                  Is this a Spanish Slug? Got loads of them over here (too many). I'm afraid they are not wanted in my garden. I'm with Stan on this. Not a subject I would photograph but I like the photo.

Comment

Hi Housey & Stan, it's interesting how many people I've shown that photo to and they've said things along the line "I don't like slugs, but strangely I like this photo".

As for the type I had written it as Arius ater (Black slug), but I'm pretty sure it's Arius rufus (Red Slug - although the brown variety), some say they're really the same species just with colour variation, I don't know enough about slugs to know 100%.

The Spanish slug - Arion vulgaris or Arion lusitanicus - doesn't make it as far north as Scotland, however there has been signs of cross breeding with the UK slugs such as the ater and making them more durable in colder climes so probably won't be too long!

Comment

Working...
                    X