Honey Bee - I hate cold porridge!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honey Bee - I hate cold porridge!

Inspired by MikeP and his expert tracking with his 70-300L I thought I would see if I could track a honey bee with my tamron, wow it's not easy. Anyhoo, these were the best two, I mainly love the second. Better go and warm up my breakfast now!

1/800th - f/5.6 - ISO1000 - tamron 300mm.

1. Judging by his hind quarters, he's had a very busy morning. They love my honeysuckle.

HONEY-BEE-5-7-13-1 by tdubya2013, on Flickr

2. They seem to know when they are being photographed, always thought the mirror was loud on the 60D.

HONEY-BEE-5-7-13-2 by tdubya2013, on Flickr
    Last edited by tombennett; 05-07-2013, 09:09.
    Am I qualified to comment on others!

Canon EOS-60D - EF 24-105mm f4
    L IS USM - Tamron Adaptall2 500mm f/8 with 2x converter - Meike Speedlight MK950 - LEE Filters: professional kit, ND Grad (hard) .3 .6 .9, Coral 4 hard grad & cir-pol 105 - CarrySpeed sling.

Tom Bennett Photography on Flickr

Re: Honey Bee - I hate cold porridge!

you have done well Tom

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

+ Tom

Tom

Comment

Thanks Guys, means a lot. I'm in the garden seeing what else I can find, making use of this unexpected heatwave though I wish my polariser had arrived.

TomB

L IS USM - Tamron Adaptall2 500mm f/8 with 2x converter - Meike Speedlight MK950 - LEE Filters: professional kit, ND Grad (hard) .3 .6 .9, Coral 4 hard grad & cir-pol 105 - CarrySpeed sling.

Comment

Detail looks pretty good to me. Think you've done well.
          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Cheers Antoeknee, I'm forming a good opinion of the Tamron and I feel also that I am improving.

Comment

I think this is a good lens especially when you look at what it can be bought for. Maybe AF isn't as zippy as Canons best.

My Tamron is permanently attached to my 60D at the moment as I use to photograph the kestrels when I walk the dog (3 times a day) unless its pouring down with rain.

It can produce some good detailed images and IIRC all my bird photos are with this lens.
              Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Nice shots Tom, but I regret to tell you it's not a honey bee, it's a bumble. Possibly a white-tailed (Bombus lucorum). If there are a lot of bees about, I've found it easier to select a blossom & wait for the bee to come to me rather than follow them.

I was watching an interesting TV program recently which showed how the electric charge of the flower changes temporarily after it has been visited by a bee and other bees don't forage from it again until the supplies are restored and the charge reversed. So (theoretically) once you have the shot you should switch to another blossom. I haven't yet tested this theory though.
                Russell
                Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

Both fine shots Tom.

Doug.
                  Cameras... 7D, 350D
                  Lens...Canon 17-40 f4, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Tamron 28-300 f3.5, Canon 18-55 f3.5

Flash...600EX-RT

Montana 5 flickr
                  Montana 5 Car-tography

Comment

Thanks for the nice comments guys. As I wrote the text I knew in my heart of hearts that it wasn't a honey bee, thanks for the correction.

Comment

I like the one where he/she is looking at you.
                      Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                      Di's Flickr

Comment

Very well done, Tom - as you've said, its not easy and these two are crackers!
                        Love them, especially the 2nd in which you have sharp detail from the tip of the antennae to the tip of the rear legs. A great warmth to them both, too.
                        Andy

Comment

Two nice shots there To; the first one is very nice
                          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Thanks chaps for stopping by and commenting.

TomB.

Comment

Very good shots Tom, really like them. I'm glad I inspired someone... that's probably a first!

Whilst the side on shot is IMHO the money shot, I do love the head on one... that's not an easy shot to get, and you've caught some great detail too.

Well done, Mike.
                              flickr
                              5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Working...
                              X