Forest Creatures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forest Creatures

Got lucky today while out with the dogs. Still getting the hang of focus and DOF when in close up and the hardest part keeping the dogs at bay while lining the shoots up.

500d 55-250mm/

250mm F8 1/125th 1000 iso
    This one isn't small but saved me putting it in another thread.

250mm F5.6 1/250th 250 iso

2010 08 28_Wyre Forest_5187 copy
    250mm F8 1/320 1000 iso

2010 08 28_Wyre Forest_5188
    Hint and tips welcome as always

Dave.
    Last edited by MicroWyred; 29-08-2010, 22:53. Reason: Repost cropped images
    www.microwyred.co.uk

Re: Forest Creatures

Dave, if you were out with the dogs then you were indeed lucky to get the first shot.
    I am thinking maybe a tighter crop on the first shot would reduce some of the camouflage background and maybe the same on the last shot as it took me a while to spot the spider.
    Good shots and keep on trying and posting here and you will get "tips" from those who know how to help.

David
    Last edited by djguk47; 29-08-2010, 08:40.
    David

Comment

Dave,

Great success with dogs in tow, I am not sure how you managed that.

I agree with David if you had cropped the 1st and last pictures i feel that they would have had great focus on the subjects. The DOF on the spider looks good and would show it off much better if it was larger.

Comment

Thanks David and Muscat for the comments. I have taken the plunge and cropped the images tighter as you suggested and it makes for a greater effect – thanks guys.

I am/was reluctant to crop to much encase the image quality is degraded but I suppose as they will be viewed over the web that isn’t really an issue. However, how far can you crop an image, if on the other hand you wanted to print that image?
        www.microwyred.co.uk

Comment

Dave, the shots look much better with the cropping.
          I see the spider was shot at f8, maybe next time try something like f4 or f2.8 (if you can) and make sure the focus point is on the spider and this will give you a greater out of focus background which will highlight the spider even more.

Good question about how far you can crop and still have clear image definition for printing...and one I do not have an answer for, but someone will come along and comment on my suggestion and hopefully answer the question.

David
          Last edited by djguk47; 30-08-2010, 07:59.
          David

Comment

Nice set of images.

Coda
            There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

Nice series. The first is a lot better with the tighter crop.

However, how far can you crop an image, if on the other hand you wanted to print that image?
              It would depend on the size you want to print at. I recently posted an image of a hoverfly which was a very big crop and I printed this at A4 and A3. While the A3 print was good it was not as good as the A4 print because the printing software, in this case Lightroom 3, had to up scale the image to print at A3. Unfortunately the up scale process isn't a magic bullet and it had lost some quality and definition compared to the A4.

Comment

Hello Microwyred. Which forest is this in Kidderminister- I know the area reasonably well as I visit a friend there on and off. I don't like spiders at all and will not comment but I like the first shot. I agree with the cropping advice given to you.
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Dave, They look much better cropped, well done

Comment

Thanks guys for all your comments and advice, it all helps to turn me into a better photographer (I hope).

Hi Nathaniel - I generally walk in the Wyre Forest - a place i love to walk with the dogs.

Cheers

Dave.
                    www.microwyred.co.uk

Comment

First is a peach, with a wonderful symmetry to the composition, with attractive light.

It's a pity that branch is masking the ear of the deer, but can't be helped in the circumstance.
                      Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
                      Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Working...
                      X