A few flight shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few flight shots

I've just realised I've been handing out ideas for getting these shots so thought I ought really to post a few of mine (so you can rip them to shreds! :tongue: )

Most were taken during my "Learning Period" so have faults of one kind or another but they demonstrate some of the techniques I have mentioned (mainly, find the spot, prepare the camera then wait for the moment - I'm lazy me )

Taken over the years with a variety of lenses including Sigma 100-300 + tubes, canon 60mm macro, tamron 90mm macro and so on. All are crops and have been PP'd

My camera is helping to look at the world more closely, then record what I see to share with others.

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com

Re: A few flight shots

as an add-on thought, I've just spent an hour playing with Hoverflies and crab spiders using the 100 f2.8LIS macro + sigma ring-flash. I'd forgotten what an intense strain hand-holding at MFD was, even using IS + AI servo mode (either that or my arthriticks are playing up). My wrists and hands are knacked! (got a few decent shots though so I guess I shouldn't grumble )
    My camera is helping to look at the world more closely, then record what I see to share with others.

Comment

Keep them coming ... #1 and #2 are most excellent.

Don't let arthriticks (sic) spoil things ... both my knees are knackered but it don't stop me rambling.

Comment

Thanks MX5, it don't stop me but it does slow me down (may not be able to hold the camera tomorrow). Anyway, here's one of this afternoon's shots with the 100 LIS + ringflash. Even with 1/1000th sec + flash and f5.6 the hoverfly is showing some signs of movement blur (I know this wasn't camera movement as the drop of nectar coming out of the Greenfly top right is sharp, as is the Greenfly itself). AI servo + close focus setting on AF + IS hand-held. Its around 60% of full frame by the way.

(That "Red Blob" is a rose leaf by the way)

Last edited by oldcanon; 20-06-2011, 16:19.

Comment

I swapped my 100L Macro for the 17-40L ... probably the effect I have on insects … they take flight … well except for bees what seem to want to sting me … which isn’t a good idea as I’m prone to anaphylactic shock from certain bees.

I can imagine the stress your hands are under when taking these excellent shots.

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
            I swapped my 100L Macro for the 17-40L ... probably the effect I have on insects … they take flight … well except for bees what seem to want to sting me … which isn’t a good idea as I’m prone to anaphylactic shock from certain bees.

I can imagine the stress your hands are under when taking these excellent shots.
            I got a 180mm macro to avoid those issues - once I can get my searchlights working properly I will be away for more shots. Have got to using 2 580EX and a video light (to help focusing). Want (rather than need) to get the other 2 580EX's into play. I know it is OTT but who cares :)
            Last edited by briansquibb; 20-06-2011, 17:39.
            ef-r

Comment

I have a vision of your shots showing bees with shades Brian - that's going to be an awful lot of Light available to you!

Comment

A lot of potential light but by using eTTL I am hoping to get the ability to fire away at max fps as the amount each flash will use will so small that the recharge time will be instantaneous.

I am struggling with small snoots at the moment so that I only light up the flower and insect

I like your pictures with the ring light but somehow I find that the ring lights give quite a flat image
                Last edited by briansquibb; 20-06-2011, 18:50.
                ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                  I like your pictures with the ring light but somehow I find that the ring lights give quite a flat image
                  with the sigma I can vary the lighting ratio of each side from only one on through to 1:8 or 8:1 power which does help with the modelling. I have been wondering about using my strobies style soft box and umbrella on occasions but haven't yet as our garden can get a bit windy and I don't fancy chasing them about

Comment

Well done Brian.

Something that I have tried and failed at.

Colin
                    Colin

Comment

Very good Brian, I have had success with hoverflys using the 300mm f/4 and extender 1.4x and the 180mm macro with extender 1.4x but I could never manage bees in flight.
                      I do like the one of the hoverfly checking out the green fly on the rose.
                      Regards

Keith

My Flickr

Comment

thanks Colin and Keith, for some unknown reason learning to do this type of shot became an obsession a few year ago - you wont believe the frustration and wasted hours spent getting the hang of it!

Comment

Originally posted by oldcanon View Post
                          thanks Colin and Keith, for some unknown reason learning to do this type of shot became an obsession a few year ago - you wont believe the frustration and wasted hours spent getting the hang of it!
                          Oh yes I do, I have deleted more bees' bums and empty frames where the hoverfly suddenly jumped 10cm in the fraction of a second between pressing the shutter and the mirror coming back down. Part of the frustration is getting obsessed with the insect and forgetting the background leading to more deletions of perfect subjects against distracting highlights in the background, something I could never have afforded to do with slide film.
                          Regards

Keith

My Flickr

Comment

A fellow sufferer I see Keith
                            I completely agree about the benefit of digital for trying to learn this sort of technique

Comment

Brian some great shots hope your wrists / hands get better and you are back out with the camera again.

Comment

Working...
                              X