The question is.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The question is.........

...... how do the newly-hatched grubs know which direction to start munching in so as to fan out in a radial pattern where they don't cross each other?

Beetle tracks by John Liddle, on Flickr
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

GPS John I have not got a clue, but like I’ve said many time, animals have got a lot more intelligence than we give them credit for.
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Interesting question. For starters the grubs have only really got one direction to start munching and that is in the living phloem tissue that carries the nutrients around the tree. I would hypothesise that the munching of the grubs causes sound or vibrations that are sensed by the neighbouring grubs which they try to avoid. As the grubs get bigger the vibration/sound gets bigger so the grubs make extra efforts to avoid hence the fan shape develops.

Comment

No idea but it was certainly a good spot and a super pic!

Ian
        Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Obviously Scottish, one lot taking the high road and the others taking the low.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyelines View Post
            Interesting question. For starters the grubs have only really got one direction to start munching and that is in the living phloem tissue that carries the nutrients around the tree. I would hypothesise that the munching of the grubs causes sound or vibrations that are sensed by the neighbouring grubs which they try to avoid. As the grubs get bigger the vibration/sound gets bigger so the grubs make extra efforts to avoid hence the fan shape develops.
            Sounds reasonable - might be some scent detection involved too.

Makes for a great shot however it happens...
            Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
            X