Clear All

Robin

Enjoying the morning sun earlier this morning

Robin1 by Birdy574, on Flickr

Robin2 by Birdy574, on Flickr

Robin3 by Birdy574, on Flickr
    Andrew

Re: Robin

Do like the last one, wonder if blurring/cloning out the branches at the back would help.
    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
    Di's Flickr

Comment

classic fluffy Robin shots, they always bring a smile to my face.
      I don't mind the detailed environment, (although I know I'm in the minority - I was however told by an "International Judge" that one of my "Busy" shots was in the modern "Salon Genre" even though normal judges hated it!)

So there you are - you are clearly shooting in the modern Salon genre too!
      My camera is helping to look at the world more closely, then record what I see to share with others.

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com

Comment

Hi Birdy

#1 for me, as it seems the sharpest, and he's looking straight at the camera! Nice detail as well. I'm not too fussed by the BG, as that helps place where the bird is!

Thanks for posting.

Mike
        flickr
        5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Nice little chap! I like them all, the light is really good. Can I ask what size lens you used?
          Colin

Colin Wallace Photography

Canon 5D MKIII / 24-105L F4 USM IS / 70-300L F4 USM IS

Comment

Top work - like them all.
            What the heck is 'salon genre'??

Comment

Thank you all for taking time to comment. The whole issue of backgrounds and natural settings is quite interesting and to some extent, IMHO, a personal perspective but I see the issue. I will try to see what one of these looks like if I can blur the twig in the background as you suggest Di. I should have reduced the aperture to improve this but was keen to make sure the Robin was all in focus as I do get some mixed results on autofocus (user error I expect). But with the ISO set at 400, and using F11 at 1/800 there was plenty of scope to adjust things; although he had flown off long before I had thought about making changes!

Brian: I haven’t ventured to expose my photos beyond this forum but I’ll remember the ‘modern Saloon genre’ tag if I ever do!

Colin: The lens was the 70-300L IS and he was sat in perfect sunshine just getting warmed up.

Thanks again.

Andrew
              Andrew

Comment

Mike: Just looked a little closer at the pictures and I think #1 is sharper due to adjustments made before I processed the RAW file. Looks like I used slightly different settings.

Andrew
                Last edited by Birdy; 21-02-2012, 13:59. Reason: fat fingers!
                Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by hhcanon View Post
                  What the heck is 'salon genre'??
                  Apparently that's how you have to talk if you are a Top International Judge / Photographer (thee & me may think its another case of BS BB )

I think the point was that there is a trend in the bigger competitions to look for images showing not only the subject but the environment in which it lives and if possible, something about the behaviour of the subject. Moving away from "Bird on a Stick" and toward a "Bird at home behaving naturally"?)
                  My camera is helping to look at the world more closely, then record what I see to share with others.

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com

Comment

Working...
                  X