ICBP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ICBP

I bought my first digital SLR about 5 weeks ago, and have been using the International Centre for Birds of Prey at Newent, Gloucester and something of a training ground as I try learn how to use it. I'm using an EOS 600d with a canon (non - L-series) 70-300mm lens.

At the moment, I am binning a LOT of shots where the copsotion is off, or the bird is out of focus and/or underexposed against the sky. I thought I'd post a few of my better shots for any advice, feedback and (constructive) criticism.

IMG_3444 by Ukfalc

IMG_3683 by Ukfalc

IMG_3888 by Ukfalc
    Last edited by ukfalc; 01-04-2012, 17:33.
    EF 16-35mm F2.8 L Mk II; EF 24-70mm F2.8 L Mk II; EF 24-105mm F4 L; EF 70-300mm F4-5.6 L.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ukfalc/

Re: ICBP

Geat efforts - keep at it. Im not sure the 70-300 is the best of lens, tho I may be wrong

Comment

They look pretty good to me.

Try to get a little more space in front of the bird. It looks "right" if they appear to have some space to fly into. Don't worry too much about the delete button, most of us involved in wildlife, especially birds in flight, tend to use the delete button rather a lot.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

Not bad at all for 5 week's use!

I have a 550D, and until a few months ago, I used the 70-300 non-L for all my wildlife and BIF shots.... and yes, you'll bin alot, but learn from them first by understanding what was wrong with them! Keep at it, as from your first shots, it looks promising!

All the best, Mike.
        flickr
        5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Thanks both.

Colin - Getting the comporisiton right, is one of the things that I have been struggling with - as i find it all rather hit and miss given the speed and unpredicatbility of the birds.What's the best way to improve it? Should I be reducing the focal lenght slightly on some shots and then cropping them? I've a tendency to shoot on the longest focal lenght and concentrate on trying to keep the bird in focus.
          EF 16-35mm F2.8 L Mk II; EF 24-70mm F2.8 L Mk II; EF 24-105mm F4 L; EF 70-300mm F4-5.6 L.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ukfalc/

Comment

Working...
          X