Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7D practice at Arundel WWT - Thu 1 Nov

Hi

Well, I'm really enjoying playing with my new 7D! I went to Arundel WWT today to shoot anything and everything, with different settings etc. I must say I'm very impressed with it's ease of use, the important buttons are all in the right place, and the AF is spot on! I love the balance with my 70-300 L. It feels so natural, I'm so glad I upgraded! Much more to learn though!

Here's a small selection from today (all hand-held with the 7D, with the 70-300 L attached, unless stated otherwise)...

It was raining on and off during the day, but that shouldn't put you off...
    1/400, f8, 150mm, iso 160

Sunshine and Rain by mikep_eos, on Flickr

This Mandarin Duck drifted into a patch of sunshine...
    1/800, f8, 221mm, iso 800

Mandarin Duck by mikep_eos, on Flickr

This Hooded Crow gave me a strange look, you don't often see them on the feeders!
    1/60, f8, 221mm, iso 1600 (experimenting with 'uncorrected' higher ISO!)

Hooded Crow on nuts by mikep_eos, on Flickr

My favourite from the day, this Black Headed Gull was resting on a post. I just love the composition!
    1/640, f8, 146mm, iso 400

Gull on resting post by mikep_eos, on Flickr

Again, the composition potential caught my eye with this Thistle Head...
    1/800, f8, 116mm, iso 1000

Thistle head by mikep_eos, on Flickr

Last but not least, I stopped on Epsom Downs on the way home, and caught this with the 'quite nifty' 50mm f1.4 USM.
    1/5000, f11, 50mm, iso 400

Sun behind clouds by mikep_eos, on Flickr

Hope you enjoyed them! C&C welcome, especially with 7D settings to be tried!

All the best, Mike.
    flickr
    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Re: 7D practice at Arundel WWT - Thu 1 Nov

Seems like your having fun Mike.
    I too love the gull photo, well spotted / composed / taken.
    All are good though.

p.s. sorry to be pedantic, but isn't that a jackdaw rather than a hooded crow?

Comment

Sounds like your already in love with the 7D mate.
      I like your "sunshine & rain" and "gull on resting post" images
      Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
      Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Thanks Jeff 'n' Stephen

@Jeff - you're right, I'm wrong. It's a Jackdaw. I originally drafted this post in the early hours this morning, and thought it was a Hooded Crow, but it doesn't look much like one! I then got the dreaded 503 error, and ended up going to bed. Posted this thread before going out this morning without confirming bird ID, so thanks for the ID!
        @Stephen - Yep, love the 7D already, does exactly what I want, when I want... just feels 'right'! Marries up to the 70-300 L a treat, perfect versatile zoom wildlife kit AFAIC.

Thanks for your comments guys.

All the best, Mike
        flickr
        5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Really nice series Mike. They all look good, but my favorite is the 1st one.

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom.

I think your favourite is my 2nd favourite from the day! Just goes to show that even when you're in a hide, it's raining and there's no wildlife in site, you can still look for good opportunities to present themselves!

Thanks. Mike.
            flickr

Comment

Looks like you have got to grips with the 7D very quickly Mike. I am guessing it was a case of RTFM (which anyone in IT knows users never ever do, they just moan and complain).
              Your Thistle Head is a Teezle.
              Like all of them, particularly as it was your first outing with the new toy. (I am green with envy and working out how I can get one past SWMBO particularly when new curtains for the front of the house are foremost in her mind)

David
              David

Comment

Quality shines through....

Comment

Great set Mike
                  My fav ? The Duck !

Comment

Thanks David, Oldbaldgit and fadetoblack.

@David - RTFM - exactly what I did. I've been toying with getting a 7D for while, and have read the manual quite extensively, and have delved other resources! lol Thanks also for the Teezle ID - I'm not good with plants!
                    @oldbaldgit - I take it you mean the camera, not the user?
                    @fadetoblack - thanks - the duck came up good! The picture actually doesn't do it justice, as on the day it just lit up in the sunshine! I tried adding some saturation in PP but it didn't look right, so I just sharpened it a bit, with a tweak of contrast!

Cheers, Mike.
                    flickr

Comment

Both.......of course !

Comment

Mike, you inspire me to visit Arundel WWT. Great set.

7D is a great camera

Richard
                        Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Thanks Richard.

I find Arundel a bit of a mixed bag. It's not massive like Slimbridge, but they've packed quite a bit in. Depending on when you go, it's either a brilliant or 'relaxed' day. When I was there for these shots, there wasn't much there except the usual residents, hence flower shots, weather shots etc. but the resident birds always provide some interest.

For me, a day at Arundel WWT is firstly a relaxing day out, away from the pressures of life, and secondly, a nice photographic interlude, with the chance of some great shots!

Let me know if you're going to visit Arundel, and we could have a forum meet!

All the best, Mike.
                          flickr

Comment

A grown up camera at last Mike

It is a camera you have to set up right and takes a bit of practice to get used to but for a first outing in not too good weather you've done well.

Mike, you inspire me to visit Arundel WWT
                            as Mike says Arundel is a bit of a mixed bag and although it is my nearest WWT centre, I would much rather go up to Barnes

Stan
                            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                            flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                              A grown up camera at last Mike
                              lol - Yes, I've finally gone all grown up, but I've still got my 550D, which will continue to be used quite well!

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                              It is a camera you have to set up right and takes a bit of practice to get used to but for a first outing in not too good weather you've done well.
                              Thank you Stan, I appreciate it. TBH, I didn't change too many settings, just tailored a few to my needs. It will take a while to get used to, but I'm already really chuffed with it.

All the best, Mike.
                              flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X