Lanner Falcon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lanner Falcon

A final few pics from my last visit to THC, these are of the male Lanner Falcon which I think is my favourite bird there to photograph. It is so fast and graceful in flight it presents quite a challenge to track through the sky but is lovely to watch.

My camera is helping to look at the world more closely, then record what I see to share with others.

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com

Re: Lanner Falcon

Nice set of shots Oldcannon.
    Number 1 is my favourite.

DaveH

Comment

Well done Brian. You've nailed the exposure for Charlie Brown in the shade #1. A tiny bit of polish would make that a stunner and may include getting rid of the Jesses and making a vignette selection of the background to darken the edges.

#2 Don't change anything. Exposure, composition, sharpness and subject all spot on. Could remove Jesses, but they are not as dominant as in #1.

#3 Not so happy with. A little too central in the fame for me, looks a tad soft and doesn't portray the elegance of the bird - sorry!

Colin
      Colin

Comment

Thanks Dave and Colin.

Colin, thanks for the detailed crit, always welcome. On a general point, I never try to make a captive bird look anything but captive so will always leave the Jesses and other signs of captivity as is, whilst trying to present as best I the character and style of the subject (just one of my little foibles )

I like the idea of the vignette, something I do occasionally but maybe should consider more often.
        I agree about #3 being a bit soft (I was panning with IS off which may have contributed (but looking at the exif I was shooting at 1/2500th so it shouldn't really have had an effect - odd? Poor technique somewhere in the piece) but wasn't too worried myself about the more central location in this shot (its easily enough corrected by a recrop anyway)

Forgot to say, what I liked about 3 was the way it shows the bending wingtips at the start of the turnover, indicating the aerodynamic stresses on the wing during flight (it can all look too effortless sometimes)
        Last edited by oldcanon; 21-01-2011, 14:43.
        My camera is helping to look at the world more closely, then record what I see to share with others.

Comment

Originally posted by oldcanon View Post
          On a general point, I never try to make a captive bird look anything but captive so will always leave the Jesses and other signs of captivity as is, whilst trying to present as best I the character and style of the subject (just one of my little foibles )
          I am "nearly" with you on that one.

The important thing with me is the final result and if the Jesses seriously detract from the image, I will remove them. My motivation is to capture the bird at it's best and if possible, part of the "essence" of the bird. But, I will mention that it is a captive bird and or, that the Jesses have been removed .................... as I have no wish, or desire, to decieve the viewer.

Conversly, there are many birds at the HCT that don't wear Jesses, or you can photograph them in such a manner that the Jesses cannot be seen and I would still mention that it was taken at the HCT.

Colin
          Colin

Comment

Conversly, there are many birds at the HCT that don't wear Jesses, or you can photograph them in such a manner that the Jesses cannot be seen and I would still mention that it was taken at the HCT.
            I wouldn't expect anything less Colin (but know a few less scrupulous people who have done so in the past - particulalry in competition entries - the bounders! )

Comment

They should be beaten with sticks, especially if they are Spanish and use tame wolves to jump fences!

Colin
              Colin

Comment

Working...
              X