Nifty Fifty + 1.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nifty Fifty + 1.4

I have been experimenting with this this morning.

I know they say this is impossible but I was thinking about a cheap macro lens - so I tried this:

From the camera body (50d), 1.4 extender, Canon 25mm tubes, nifty fifty

And here is the result - not the prettiest (it was iso 800) - the flower is about 8mm across

ef-r

Re: Nifty Fifty + 1.4

It certainly works for me Brian; particularly like the little aphid on the right!
    Andrew
    Andrew

Comment

Here is the nifty fifty with just the 25mm tubes

50d, 50+25, 1/125, f11, iso800
      ef-r

Comment

Brian, the first image looks on my screen as if it has been very over sharpened whilst the second looks OK. I am guessing that the 50D at ISO 800 hasn't helped but the proof of concept works pretty well

Comment

Yep - It was only a proof of concept
          ef-r

Comment

Picked out the spiders webs and dusting of pollen very nicely
            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
            Di's Flickr

Comment

Nice experiment .... so does that mean you can use the extender 1.4x and EF25 on other (Canon) lenses not normally compatible with the extender. You just loose long distance to infinity focus ... ???

Does it work with the EF12 ?

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
                Nice experiment .... so does that mean you can use the extender 1.4x and EF25 on other (Canon) lenses not normally compatible with the extender. You just loose long distance to infinity focus ... ???

Does it work with the EF12 ?
                I haven't got the EF12 but I would expect it to work, just not be able to get in as close

I am now going to try it on all my lens - starting with the 17-40, 24-105 and the 135f2

On the 50 there was a very limited focus range - rather like the MPE-60 - but hey you get a cheap macro ...
                ef-r

Comment

Look forward to the results with t'other lenses .. the shops will be wondering why EF25's are flying off the shelves

Comment

I am not trying to hijack Brian's thread but MX5 asked a couple of questions so I hope that these images may go someway to answering them with regard to the 50mm lens.

My examples are using even cheaper kit than Brian. I have used a 50D with the nifty 50 (50mm f1.8 <£90 lens), Kenko 1.4 teleplus extender and Kenko DG tubes. The following series were taken of a geranium (the flower was 40mm across) in the garden with the camera on a tripod and using the 2 second timer release, AV mode f8, ISO 100. The pictures are as they came out of the camera no cropping or PP

50D + Nifty fifty

50D + Nifty fifty + 1.4x

50D + Nifty fifty + 1.4x + 12mm tube

50D + Nifty fifty + 1.4x + 12mm + 20mm tubes

50D + Nifty fifty + 1.4x + 12mm + 20mm + 36mm tubes

Comment

Clearly there comes a point where the DOF gets so shallow that focus stacking is needed. Then there comes the issue that the sensitivity of the focussing ring is too coarse ....
                      ef-r

Comment

Brian, thanks for posting this thread - very useful.

Also, thanks Ian for the flower examples. Very interested in this as I already have 50mm f1.4 and Kenko 1.4 extender, and in a few weeks I'll have the Kenko extension tubes to play with. I'm already looking at the world of possibilities that exist just in my garden! I think you're posts show that you just have to get out there and see what works (and, I think just as importantly, what doesn't work)!

Cheers guys. All the best, Mike.
                        flickr
                        5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Another thank you... I haven't got the extender, but have got the tubes.. may have to play with the 50mm and them.
                          Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                          Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                          X