Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British Wildlife Centre - Fri 28th Oct

Hi all.

I've been home most of this week ill, but today I felt I needed some fresh air, so I had a couple of hours in the afternoon at the BWC near Lingfield, Surrey.

The light wasn't great, and by the end of the day I was struggling, but here's a small selection from the day!

The Polecats were very active...

Polecat by mikep_eos, on Flickr

The Water Vole too were active enough, but it took time to get this shot - pop-up flash assisted...

Water Vole in his hole by mikep_eos, on Flickr

By the time of the owl flying display, I was down to 1/60 or so, so static shots only!

Barn Owl by mikep_eos, on Flickr

Short Eared Owl by mikep_eos, on Flickr

Not a bad few hours, and the fresh air did me good! Hope you enjoy the shots! C&C welcome.

All the best, Mike.
    flickr
    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Re: British Wildlife Centre - Fri 28th Oct

The light wasn't great, and by the end of the day I was struggling
    You were not struggling with these beautiful images Mike.
    These must be up there with your best work.
    Well done m8.

Comment

last one for me mike - nice shot. get better soon
      dave
      5DMKII 24-105mm, 100-400 ISUSM - plus lots of bits that I am not sure I need or can afford

Comment

Stephen, Dan & Dave - thank for your get well wishes, and comments.

@Stephen - I was struggling with coughing and spluttering, and nearly went home before the owl flying display, but decided to stay for it... glad I did, as I like the shots I got. The ones of the owls flying were rubbish, as I couldn't get enough shutter speed.

Shame the BWC closes for the Winter, I won't be able to get back there till next year!

Many thanks. All the best, Mike.
        flickr
        5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

I really like the owls Mike and the vole peeping out of his hole. I think you need to look at the white balence on the polecat though, it seems to have a tinge of blue

Stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

Thanks for the comments Stan, I too like the owls, and the Water Vole is now in my 'favourites' folder! Would have liked to go back today as well, as the morning was quite sunny, but SWMBO and I had to prepare the garden ready for a fireworks party next week!

TBH, I'm struggling to see the blue tinge on the Polecat that you mentioned! Are you seeing it just in the whites, or elsewhere on the Polecat / in the picture?

All the best, Mike.
            flickr

Comment

Hope you're feeling better soon.
              Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
              Di's Flickr

Comment

Hi Mike

Its the fur really, unless theyve changed colour it shopuld really be a darker brown and the face a bit cream.
                ps done a quick edit in ACR - just changed the white balence

Stan

Last edited by Stan; 29-10-2011, 17:04. Reason: added picture

flickr

Comment

Stan, many thanks for the re-posted image, really helps me see what you mean, and I now see what's wrong!

I've gone back to the original image in DPP, set it to 'as shot', then set the WB to 'Cloudy' (as it was by then!), increased Contrast and Saturation by 1, and sharpened to 5. The picture now looks like your re-posted shot, as far as I can see no blue tinge, and it's now nothing like the one I posted originally!

I really must remember to not get carried away in DPP with my PP!

My correction posted here for comparison, as I used a different method!

Polecat head-on on rock wb adjusted by mikep_eos, on Flickr

Thanks again - still on a learning curve here, and really appreciate your pointing it out, and your re-work of the shot.

All the best, Mike.
                  flickr

Comment

That looks much more like it should Mike

As you say it is easy to get carried away when at the end of the day only subtle changes are needed

Stan

flickr

Comment

Hope you are feeling a lot better Mike by the time you read this!

You have taken some excellent photos giving the poor light you said about, well done.
                      Colin

Colin Wallace Photography

Canon 5D MKIII / 24-105L F4 USM IS / 70-300L F4 USM IS

Comment

Working...
                      X