X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some More Marwell Big Cats

Another 3 shots for you

Another of the snow leopards, this one shot through the wire

Amur leopard - with most shots due to the lack of light I was having to shoot wide open, so with minimal depth of field the nose is not as sharp. This one shot through the glass

Earlier in the year a high level walkway through the cheetah enclosure was opened allowing shots without wire or glass in the way. Unfortunately it was closed off on Sunday, presumably being too slippery due to the weather but I just could not resist venturing just inside to get this shot od the cheetah relaxing

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Re: Some More Marwell Big Cats

Lovely shots Stan. A great inspiration to newbies like me. Keep on sharing our photos. I note (IMHO) that the shots are perhaps not as sharp as the ones you take outdoors. The glass seems to give a bit of "dullness". I like #2 the best. I am of course not a "Zoo" person in that I prefer to take all my wild life shots out in the open- in the free and open country. I know you understand what I mean.
    Last edited by Nathaniel; 13-12-2011, 15:49.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Beautiful 'cats' - as for shooting through glass, yes it will distort / soften your shots as you are basically putting a mega thick filter in front of your lens. Nicely handled though ;)

.DAVID.
      Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Thanks Nathaniel and David
        as for shooting through glass, yes it will distort / soften your shots as you are basically putting a mega thick filter in front of your lens. Nicely handled though ;)
        quite right - compare the quality with the last one which was shot in the open

I am of course not a "Zoo" person in that I prefer to take all my wild life shots out in the open- in the free and open country. I know you understand what I mean.
        So do I Nathaniel but I have yet to find leopards, cheetahs etc roaming free in the countryside near where I live so if you want the shots zoos and wildlife foundations are the next best thing

Stan

flickr

Comment

I fully agree with you Stan. I know Marwell zoo very well as I have been there and I always passed the Zoo sign when I worked from my Portmouth base for 7 good years. I think it is a "mind thing" as I feel that photographing wild life in captivity is not the real thing. However I enjoy very much seeing your photos and how you overcome the "glass barrier". Keep on posting and sharing your wonderful images.
          Last edited by Nathaniel; 14-12-2011, 14:29.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

I have yet to find leopards, cheetahs etc roaming free in the countryside
            but you will find Wallabies roaming around the Peak District.....

David
            David

Comment

I think it is a "mind thing" as I feel that photographing wild life in captivity is not the real thing
              which is why when I take this sort of shot i always try to make it look as natural as possible - if there is any hint of barriers, bars or un natural plants it will either get binned straight away or i wnt bother with the shot in the first place

Stan

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by djguk47 View Post
                but you will find Wallabies roaming around the Peak District.....

David
                Indeed you do ... also the 'Black Beasts' (very large black cats ... more panthera than felis catus) on the moors in Lancashire and North Yorkshire.

Anyway I like any pictures of cats. Like these.

Comment

I do like number two, but number three does look incredibly wild.
                  Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                  Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
                    Indeed you do ... also the 'Black Beasts' (very large black cats ... more panthera than felis catus) on the moors in Lancashire and North Yorkshire.

Anyway I like any pictures of cats. Like these.
                    Haven't found any in Saddleworth moors- been there a few times many years ago!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                      Haven't found any in Saddleworth moors- been there a few times many years ago!!
                      ... ah that's because it's in Greater Manchester & West Yorkshire (neither county popular with big cats!) ... but Saddleworth Moor has infamy for other reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
                        ... ah that's because it's in Greater Manchester & West Yorkshire (neither county popular with big cats!) ... but Saddleworth Moor has infamy for other reasons.
                        I am fully aware of the infamy.

Comment

Working...
                        X