Two too cute dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two too cute dogs

Taking pictures at my local dog training class - experimenting with flash. Glad to say that dogs dont really react to flash.

Here are a couple of cute little things These were taken with one flash through umbrella, one on hotshoe. I adjusted the power balance by the relative distance of the 2 flashes. Generally I had the umbrella on the left so that I could move it about, and able to take the picture one handed.

Was taking them at f/2.8 which is too open - next week will be starting at f/4 and probably 2 flash through umbrella plus one on hotshoe.

Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
    Lens: EF85mm f/1.8 USM
    Image Date: 2012-01-09 22:32:14
    Focal Length: 85.0mm
    Aperture: f/2.8
    Exposure Time: 0.010 s (1/100)
    ISO equiv: 400
    Flash Fired: Yes (Auto, return light detected)

Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
    Lens: EF85mm f/1.8 USM
    Image Date: 2012-01-09 22:32:43
    Focal Length: 85.0mm
    Aperture: f/2.8
    Exposure Time: 0.010 s (1/100)
    ISO equiv: 400
    Flash Fired: Yes (Auto, return light detected)
    ef-r

Re: Two too cute dogs

Great little dogs and the definition / colour is very good. I know that these are at a dog training school and that they will have collars on but the red lead in #1 I find very distracting

Comment

I understand where you are coming from on the collars - however on little dogs that are jumping around there is no opportunity to sort that out. We are just experimenting at the moment - this week was flash - next week is two off shoe flash. Hopefully the dogs will get used to me soon and they will calm down. I get 2 hours free modelling every monday night as well as the goats on monday morning

When the owners look at the pictures they only see the dogs, like parents and children. We are going to work up to getting group photos - like a wedding group. The trainer really wants this as it will be very good training for the dogs and their owners.

Here was oue first effort last night I did get some better pictures later

ef-r

Comment

As you say very narrow dof at f2.8 but with those poses you aren't going to get a lot more closing down. Anyway you have the eyes sharp and thats what counts. With the first one the catchlight in the eye is a bit big - due to the position of the flash ?

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

The increased dof is needed for dogs with longer noses - will go for f/4.0 for starters

I was shooting through the umbrella which is why there is such a large catchlight. I am planning next week to try a different lighting arrangement to avoid this issue.
          ef-r

Comment

Brian, with my comment ref #1 I have copied the image and simply toned down the red collar which was what I meant with my note, see the image below.

Comment

imho.. the toning down as worked. Any dog owner would be pleased as punch to have that framed. - Well I would if it was my dog.
              Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
              Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
              X