Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

London from Epsom Downs

Hi

Whilst on my way home from Arundel WWT yesterday, I drove over Epsom Downs, and took this view of London (City mostly!).

7D, 70-300 L IS USM @300mm, 1/250, f11, iso 400. Hand held (with IS on!) as I didn't have a tripod. Six shots stitched together using Microsft ICE using the RAW files straight out the camera with no other PP.

London from Epsom Downs by mikep_eos, on Flickr

I have enough shots to keep going on the left until Wembley Stadium, but I thought that would be too many shots to see clearly, so kept this one from the Shard round to the Post Office tower!

I haven't really done many pano's, so any advice on taking them, or on the PP would be appreciated! C&C welcome!

All the best, Mike.
    flickr
    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Re: London from Epsom Downs

As for the technique, I don't see any flaws. THe focus, exposure and DOF looks correct throughout the pano. The only think that distracts from the pano is the foreground IMO.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
      As for the technique, I don't see any flaws. THe focus, exposure and DOF looks correct throughout the pano. The only think that distracts from the pano is the foreground IMO.
      Thanks Tom, that's all good to know!

I agree with the foreground, but this is the highest point of Epsom Downs, and if I'd walked to the other side of the trees, I'd be too low to get a view of London!

Cheers, Mike.
      flickr
      5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

I like this Mike. Pesky trees they are a problem for us in the south where we seem to have mislaid the mountains

The only tips i can pass on are
        1 shoot in portrait to produce an image with more height to it. Looking at the original image size on flickr it seems you may have done that anyway?
        2 shoot an image of something completely different (your hand) to bookend the panorama so that when you get home it is obvious where it starts and finishes.

I picked these up from Gavin Hoey so credit to him.

Scott
        Scott

500px flickr

Comment

Originally posted by anderson.council View Post
          1 shoot in portrait to produce an image with more height to it. Looking at the original image size on flickr it seems you may have done that anyway?
          2 shoot an image of something completely different (your hand) to bookend the panorama so that when you get home it is obvious where it starts and finishes.
          Thanks Scott - they are great tips! I shot in landscape as it was hand held, but next time I have a tripod, I'll go for the portrait format! I took several attempts at the pano, so yes there were quite a few pictures to choose from and I struggled finding the start and end, so the hand shot is a great idea.

Cheers, Mike.
          flickr

Comment

Mike: I can see St Pauls and the London Eye
            Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
            Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS View Post
              Mike: I can see St Pauls and the London Eye
              Thanks Stephen - you are right, of course. As these were taken with an 18mp camera, and at 300mm, it's amazing how much detail is captured in the images. It's a shame I don't know how you could zoom in to the picture now it's on the forum as a JPG, but zooming into the originals gives quite a detailed image!

You should see (and zoom) into the frame I've got of Wembley Stadium (from the same set as these). It looks like the Stadium is right next door, but in fact it's about 15 miles away!

Cheers, Mike
              flickr

Comment

Working...
              X