No announcement yet.

A pair of panoramas - National Hockey Stadium, Milton Keynes and Network Rai HQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A pair of panoramas - National Hockey Stadium, Milton Keynes and Network Rai HQ

Back in 2009 it was confirmed that the National Hockey Stadium in Milton Keynes was going to be demolished to make way for the new Network Rail HQ. Not too far from the hockey stadium was the CMK rail-station multi-story car park, so I took a series of shots from the upper deck, covering clockwise from the WCML railway round to the dome of Milton Keyne's central church, on the hill in the distance. Later in 2012, but at a very different time of year foliage-wise, I took a comparison series of shots from nearly the same place, and the pair of panoramas are linked below in one composite image. The comparisons linked below are a small subset of the shots I took.

I used the same lens for both series of shots, the EF 50 F/2.5 Compact Macro hoping to benefit from its good drawing. However, in the earlier sequence I used my 5D, and in the later set, my 5D II. Not too surprisingly I had to do some fiddling in Photoshop to produce the pair of comparison panoramas - and I've probably overdone the processing.

Here's the Small Image (750 x 375 pixels) via a link, as the editor here doesn't want to insert the file directly.

and here's a link to the larger composite image. (3000 x1500 pixels) - click on it with your mouse to expand it.
    Link to large image

You can see from the larger image that I was too near the fence on the car park roof for the stitching s/w to work properly, and that's why I moved my shooting position for the later shot, and why the comparison isn't as good as I had hoped.
    All shots taken using Manual Exposure, and were hand-held, although I do own a proper panorama head, the Manfrotto 303Plus.
    M Stewart
    Milton Keynes, UK

Re: A pair of panoramas - National Hockey Stadium, Milton Keynes and Network Rai HQ

Well I guess that is what they call progress, it was a great idea to do the 2 panoramas which tell a compelling story. It looks from the second image that there is still a lot more construction to come on the LHS.

Comment

Re: A pair of panoramas - National Hockey Stadium, Milton Keynes and Network Rai HQ

Originally posted by Muscat View Post
      Well I guess that is what they call progress, it was a great idea to do the 2 panoramas which tell a compelling story. It looks from the second image that there is still a lot more construction to come on the LHS.
      The area on the LHS has had a variety of uses over the last few years, occasionally it's been an overflow car-park, but mainly various contractors have used it. Firstly when replacing a Victorian brick built footbridge over the WCML with a modern reinforced concrete type, and as you can see from the lower shot, it housed the cabins for the contractors working on the new NR HQ. That is now finished as far as I know, and the contractors' cabins have gone. There was a scaffolding footbridge connecting the contractor's compound with the new building - just visible on the lower image, left of centre & above the orange huts.

I think the new HQ building is now fully in use as far as external views are concerned, so time perhaps for another panorama.
      M Stewart
      Milton Keynes, UK

Comment

Working...
      X