X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with first panorama

Hi all. I have just stitched my first Panorama shot

PanSunSetStitched by Garry Mac, on Flickr

The problem is the joins are so visible. These were taken very quickly, as a bit of an afterthought really, so I didn't pay much attention at the time to settings. So, my question is, are the seems so obvious because of the software or more because of my exposure settings. It would appear that the edges furthest from the sun in each photo are darker than those closer, resulting in the obvious change in shade. I used Canon Photostitch for the edit

Your thoughts appreciated,

Garry
    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Re: Problem with first panorama

Hi Garry.

You may have answered your own question! It's usually best to gauge the range of exposure required first, settle on a setting you want, and manually set this so that each shot is exposed using the same settings.

I would recommend you try Microsoft's ICE (Image Composite Editor) for panos, and it's free! You chuck your pictures at it, and it works it all out for you! Here's the link to the Windows 32 bit version. Quite a few people on here use this software, so there's help if you need it!

Hope some of that is useful to you!

All the best, Mike
    flickr
    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Good info from Mike. Give that software a try and see if it improves the image. That's a nice sunset Garry.
      Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
      http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
      https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Thanks guys for the input. I've downloaded ICE and I'll give it a go tomorrow. I didn't really intend on creating a panorama until last minute. This is a hill right behind my house, so hopefully I'll get more oportunities to get better exposures. It would be a nice one to have on my wall!

Thanks again,

Garry

Comment

Garry I don't know how much of an overlap you had on your various images but it is a good idea when doing a panorama to have at least a 25% overlap, this helps the SW smooth things out even more.

Comment

Hi Muscat, thanks for the tip. I'll remember that next time. I reckon I had barely a 15% overlap, maybe less.

Comment

Here is a second stitch using ICE this time, as recommended. There is a definite improvement in the merge I'd say, just from using this software. Next time, if I can get the exposures more consistant, this will work well.

MSstitch by Garry Mac, on Flickr

Thanks all again for your help,

Garry

Comment

Well done Garry, that's a big improvement.
                Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
                http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
                https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Garry, that's a big improvement!

Forgot to say in my first reply above... nice pic!

MS ICE is well worth playing with, as it has some really nice features, and it's all FREE! Nice!

Mike
                  flickr
                  5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Only just noticed this Garry, I can see why you like the view!! and I agree it would be nice to have on your wall.

Regards Paul

Comment

That second version is superb and just shows what can be done with the right software.
                      Colin

Comment

Gary the second one is great and looks even better full screen on your flickr site

Comment

Looks good viewed full screen against the black on flickr.
                          Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                          Di's Flickr

Comment

Thanks all, that is a real encouragement. MS ICE is a superb piece of software.

A couple of questions though! First of all, a bit of a dumb question, but, how do I know what size this is now for printing? Probably wont print this actual shot. But, I've tried to work out how to find out what size/ratio it is now at, and can't figure it out

also, where would I go to get it printed? I have used DS Colour Labs before, who are great. But none of their panorama templates seem to work out for me !

Thanks again for all the kind words,

Garry
                            Last edited by digiman; 09-04-2013, 21:25.

Comment

Working...
                            X