Strawberry Hill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strawberry Hill

Inspired by other recent panoramas on this forum, thought I'd have a go while visiting Strawberry Hill yesterday. Strawberry Hill was created by Horace Walpole as his summer villa near Twickenham between 1748 and 1790, and is regarded as one of the finest examples of Gothic revival in the UK. A trust has recently refurbished the house and it is now open to the public.
    Horace Walpole's property is the white part to the right of the picture, to the left of this is Lady Waldergrave's extension, and then connected is the Chapel of St Mary's University College.
    I'm still very new to panoramas but would love to get better, so grateful for your comments.

Strawberry Hill pano by AlexR!, on Flickr
    EOS 7D, ISO 200, 17-85 at 28mm, 5 portrait images stitched in PSE 11.
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Re: Strawberry Hill

Very well done Alex. I like it.

Tom

Comment

Two very distinct separate styles of building there.

Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
      Di's Flickr

Comment

Tom and Di, thanks.
        Yes Di, Lady Waldegrave made her changes in the 1850s, so 100 years after Walpole. The trust has very consciously kept the distinction between the different styles particularly by maintaining the white lime wash on the Walpole exterior.
        Canon EOS 7D
        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM

Comment

I think you have done a really good job Alex. If I hadn't read your intro I would have said the shot was a stitched from three separate locations - very impressive.

Dave
          www.trikietowers.com

Comment

Great stitch Alex. Lovely subject which I would really like to visit someday.

Thanks for sharing,
            Garry
            Garry Macdonald on Flickr
            Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Dave, Garry, thanks for your nice comments.
              Garry, if you are interested in architectural styles, it's a must-see. But what was fascinating to me (and I've been twice this year already) was that at it's heart it is just a couple of old cottages, with these astonishing exteriors bolted on. The inside is similarly makeshift - the adornments are mostly painted carved limewood. Walpole himself considered it just a confection, and didn't expect it to last 50 years, let alone 250. All of the furniture and his artefacts collected from 4 (yes 4) Grand Tours have long since been sold, but the trust are slowly refurbishing rooms as funds allow. I did a number of interior shots, particularly of the recreated stained glass, but these still need some serious post processing to make presentable.
              A couple of tips if you do visit. The website goes to great pains to dissuade you from driving there, as there is only a small car park and all the roads around are resident parking only. This is so effective that both times I went the car park was deserted, with plenty of spaces available.
              Secondly, the scones and cakes are home made. Yum.
              Canon EOS 7D

Comment

Very nice indeed Alex and good info with the thread too, really sharp.

Regards Paul

Comment

Cheers Alex, that's great info. I love old properties, especially if they have an interesting story. One to add to google maps to visit.

Thanks again,

Garry
                  Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                  Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                  X