The Stations of the Cross, near the Hermitage de Santa Eulalia, Spain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Stations of the Cross, near the Hermitage de Santa Eulalia, Spain

Last year we failed to get to see these statues, which are on hill overlooking the Hermitage and which culminate in a large figure of Christ atop the ascent.

This is a view out over the valley from one of the stations, on a very gloomy day, which turned into rain shortly afterwards.

Stations of the Cross by John Liddle, on Flickr
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Re: The Stations of the Cross, near the Hermitage de Santa Eulalia, Spain

Best seen on Flickr this is a stunning view with a nice atmospheric cloudscape. A shame the light wasn't more kind as the greenery needs a bit of a lift to reveal the texture. I assume that's a religious statue so one wonders why her back is turned on "God's creation".

Cheers,
    John

Comment

What a gorgeous view. Well composed image John

Tom

Comment

Thanks John & Tom.

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
        A shame the light wasn't more kind as the greenery needs a bit of a lift to reveal the texture. I assume that's a religious statue so one wonders why her back is turned on "God's creation".
        If I remember correctly this statue represents the 8th station of the cross ("Jesus meets the women of Jerusalem") and she is facing the road up the mountain (the "via Dolorosa") along which Jesus is making his way, so that's why her back is to the beauty of the scene.

As to the greenery, point taken - is this better?

Stations of the Cross (2) by John Liddle, on Flickr
        John Liddle

Comment

now this one is a lot stronger - nice work
          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Quite like it ...but the position of the statue doesn't really work for me as she is too close to the edges of the frame and is looking out rather than in to the scene

stan
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
              the position of the statue doesn't really work for me as she is too close to the edges of the frame and is looking out rather than in to the scene

stan
              Fair comment Stan - but you have to play the hand you are dealt.
              John Liddle

Comment

Working...
              X