• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crisis? What Crisis?

IMG_0971_RAW_03.jpg

Younger people may need to Google that

Re: Crisis? What Crisis?

Embarrassingly, my first thought was about the Supertramp album of that name, rather than the national economic crisis.
    Anyway, I love the overly saturated colours which suit the 'pop art' feel, but I think you could just lighten up the pavement a tad to give a better contrast to the shadow under the umbrella. Great spot, though, and generally like the treatment.
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

I'm not keen on that lamp post ... otherwise I like it.
      [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Thanks for the comments chaps, they're greatly appreciated and, being new to shooting and processing RAW, they can only improve what I do.

The lamppost was always going to be a problem and I did try cropping it out but, as I was trying to show this lady alone on the prom and needed the receding row of beach huts, the picture didn't work as well. If she's still there next time I'll give her a shake and ask her to move - she won’t mind I'm sure

I like the idea of brightening the pavement but do you mean brighten the whole image or just the pavement? If just the pavement then I don't know how to adjust a small portion of an image. So far all my post processing has been with DPP (that I'm still learning) - is it possible in DPP or do I need something else like Photoshop?

Cheers,
        John

Comment

I'm afraid I don't use DPP, but loads of people on here do. I did a very quick selection in Photoshop Elements, and a very quick lightening to come up with:
          Attached Files
          Canon EOS 7D
          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Mr Callaghan, I presume?

Comment

Thanks for that Alex, it does make quite a difference and is a technique I can use so will look into PE.

Cheers,
              John

Comment

Ok I was 'given a copy' of cs5 about 6 months ago ... and have only just recently scrached the surface of it...I watch loads of youtube vids,but its still fairly complicated !!! ..(at least it is for me) I had a little play with htis picture for literally 10 minutes and this is what I came up with ...

I used a gradient tool (more luck that judgement) which created a sort of light shaft from the top right corner ( dont know how I did it tho..honestly) sort of cloned out the lamp post( sort of) ... and then tried to move the umbrella stand (which did/nt tiurn out too great) the lady's face suffered in the process....(sorry)

Apologies to ColyTonJohn nothing meant by me putting this on here ..and if needed I will remove it.Have to look again how to post this pic now so here goes .....
                Attached Files
                [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

I have no problem with my images being edited (provided I'm not superimposed wearing a mankini ). Removing the post shows what it could have been and the crank-handle brolly pole should be patented.

What it and AndyR's version show is how easy it is to retrospectively apply grad filters which I would like to experiment with as I do like a dramatic sky. I have, however, just seen how expensive even CS5 is and that is money I’d be better off putting towards a much needed wide angle lens although I do have GIMP which I understand has many of the PS features so think I'll experiment with that first.

Cheers,
                  John

Comment

Thanks John ... and to be honest I would'nt have photoshop if I was'nt 'given' it.:) free.

Comment

Working...
                    X