Glass of Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glass of Wine

So sitting here watching Chopped on TV. So I got out the 100D w/EF 40mm STM, put on a 580 EX on it. On the 580, I used a Gary Fong's Lightsphere. I set the flash to manual, @ 50mm 1/8 power. Next using Sekonic L-358 lightmeter, I measured the ambient light, then set the camera to the following settings:

Shutter speed 1/200 (Lightmeter called for 1/50)
    Aperture f/4.5
    ISO 400

Since I have and Eye-Fi card in the 100D I uploaded the image onto my iPad, then using Snapseed, I processed the image. From the iPad using the Photobucket App, uploaded the image, copied the URL, then using Tapatalk posted it here.

Comments Welcomed
    Tom
    Last edited by tesarver; 19-01-2014, 02:06.

Re: Glass of Wine

Nice relaxed image, and some great use if technology.
    Andy

Comment

Tom,
      That's an excellent example of how the GF lightsphere illuminates the centre of the scene leaving a darker surround. No reflection from the spectacles either. Nice.
      Russell
      Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

You are lucky in that you have a wife that is happy to pose for you. Mine just gets changed after evening meal and sits in her dressing gown all relaxed and refuses to allow me to get the camera out to practice :).

I would only make one comment, which I hope you dont mind from an amateur, and that would be if you do any more post processing is to remove the item that is dangling over the back shelf (is it rope or something) - as it unfortunately makes it look like her hair is sticking up initially.
        Andy
        Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
        EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
        [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Well done Tom. I've been meaning to ask, if anyone here uses a lightmeter. Are they very useful?
          Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
          http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
          https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Thanks Cyberman, Russell, Andy & AndyA for stopping by.

Originally posted by Bhuna View Post
            I would only make one comment, which I hope you dont mind from an amateur, and that would be if you do any more post processing is to remove the item that is dangling over the back shelf (is it rope or something) - as it unfortunately makes it look like her hair is sticking up initially.
            Thanks for the suggestion, however Snapseed doesn't allow for cloning out an object. As a matter of fact I'm not aware of any photo app currently that allows for cloning that I'm aware of. And since this was an exercise in using just mobile devices I'd be curious what other apps outers might recommend that would allow for quick edits.

Originally posted by AndyA View Post
            Well done Tom. I've been meaning to ask, if anyone here uses a lightmeter. Are they very useful?
            I find mine very useful when I'm setting up for portraits (incidental lighting (both ambient and flash) to determine flash power and for BW Landscape (Reflective) as meters measure everything in 18% gray, so when you meter it puts things in zone 5 (18% gray) so knowing that, I know that I want my highlights in zone 7 and my shadow detail in zone 3, so by spot metering the highlights, I know that I need increase exposure by 2 stops or if I measure shadow, I would need to decrease exposure by at least 2 stops or if I'm measure something that I know is 18% gray, then I'm good. So yes metering helps me in my tonal distribution of my landscapes

Tom

Comment

Very nice Tom. I suffer like Andy B - no cameras allowed out when my wife is in eye-sight of the things in case anything dangerous happens (and I don't mean pressing the shutter button...)

I like the processing, but I have to say that you begin to lose me with the zones 3, 5 and 7. I just want to get my Oyster card out for the tube at that stage... I also like that you can do all of this without touching a computer!

Which do you prefer - the M or the 100D. I looked at both at the Trade Fair I went to the other day. Also at the G16, G1X and the S120. Not that I need one, but sometimes I think it would be nice to have a small but quality camera in my bag the whole time and carrying a 5Diii with 70-200 is just a tad heavy when you are also carrying a computer and, heaven forbid, some papers!!!

Best

Richard
              Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Well that makes 3 of us with "no cameras allowed" SWMBO goes ballistic if I take an opportunity shot, has to be examined in great detail then deleted !! On the day our son was born I took some shots on the ward, 30 years later we still have them with her head cut off everyone !! Why are they like this ??!!
                Graham
                Last edited by Longshot; 19-01-2014, 19:56. Reason: Add detail
                Canon 100D, 18-135 IS STM, 50 1.8 STM, 220EX Flash.

Comment

Originally posted by Longshot View Post
                  Well that makes 3 of us with "no cameras allowed" SWMBO goes ballistic if I take an opportunity shot, has to be examined in great detail then deleted !! Why are they like this ??!!
                  Graham
                  And in my case my daughters have picked up the same attitude, and then I get derided for not having photographs of the girls or the family!!!

Hey ho, Life!!!

Richard
                  Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Thanks Graham & Richard for Stopping by.

Originally posted by rcarca View Post
                    Which do you prefer - the M or the 100D. I looked at both at the Trade Fair I went to the other day. Also at the G16, G1X and the S120. Not that I need one, but sometimes I think it would be nice to have a small but quality camera in my bag the whole time and carrying a 5Diii with 70-200 is just a tad heavy when you are also carrying a computer and, heaven forbid, some papers!!!
                    I like them both, but for different reasons. with the 100D, it is easier to use my larger lenses, but for ease of use, just to grab and carry, it is the M hands down.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                    X