Need some help here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some help here!

Hi, I have just been asked by a friend to photograph his wedding. His original photographer has let him down

I know nothing about photographing people, I normally just do landscape and night shots.

I have just got a 6d with a 24-105 lens, I also have a Samyang 14mm and a 70-200mm, both of which I suspect wouldn't be ideal for a wedding.

Can anyone give me a rough idea on the settings in aperture and metering one would use. I know there would be variations on these, but just a starting point and any other settings. Also any other tips. I intend just trying to photo random people and see how it comes out over the next week.

I know these are noob questions, but I'm not and don't claim to be a pro.

I don't have a flash, but I suspect, being a Kiwi wedding, it will be outside.

Thanks

Re: Need some help here!

My advice? Pass on this and don't do it. That's if you want to keep your friendship?
    There's too much at stake, and too many variables working against you from the sound of it, for you to produce the level of work they are probably looking for? Can they find anyone else?
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but from the sort of questions you're asking you might want to get some more experience before taking on such a job? And we're all here to learn :)
    1Ds II, 1D IIN, 1D II, 5D, 1V HS, 3, 14L II, 16-35L II, 24-70L, 35 f/2, 40 STM, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 70-300​DO, 300L f/4, 1.4x II, 2x II, 580EX II, 430EX II, 270EX, MR-14EX

Comment

Originally posted by kelly200269 View Post
      My advice? Pass on this and don't do it. That's if you want to keep your friendship?
      There's too much at stake, and too many variables working against you from the sound of it, for you to produce the level of work they are probably looking for? Can they find anyone else?
      Please don't take this the wrong way, but from the sort of questions you're asking you might want to get some more experience before taking on such a job? And we're all here to learn :)
      I agree.
      Good ( or even just adequate) wedding photography has very little to do with which lens, which setting etc but loads more to do with composition, handling the light, capturing the atmosphere, bringing out the joy of the moment etc. you need to know how to manage people as actors on what could be the most important performance of their life - not easy and something that takes time, skill and ability to acquire.
      James
      James Boardman Woodend
      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

agree with the guys above - I've taken more weddings than I care to remember and its all about controlling the crowd and planning your shots

theres quite a few threads on the forum regarding taking a wedding for friends and most go along a similar route "do you really!!!" - If you have no choice then I would suggest a few things

1 - ask the couple what type of photos they want, formal / casual - if formal research the order of the day as wedding photography follows very set lines, like photos of guests turning up, best man & groom, bride arriving at church, photo with dad ....and so on till the cutting of cake and dancing

2 - your 24-105 will be fine

3 - buy flash you may need one, if you can't afford to buy a decent one ask the couple for a contribution after all your doing the wedding for free I presume

4 - get a helping hand. If you have someone that will help you with groups it will help, especially someone that knows the group

5 - ideally a back up camera "just" in case something goes wrong

6 - as for settings stick it into AV mode, around F8 and try to keep the ISO as low as possible this will be ok for the bulk but close ups open it wide

7 - and last make sure you have a good voice as you will be shouting out asking for people and trying to control the group

theres loads more tips but if you use the search feature here you'll find a lot more - but as pointed out weddings isn't about the equipment its about controlling groups of people
        Last edited by Tigger; 29-12-2014, 08:25.
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Thanks everyone,

I really don't want to do it anyway. The idea of the pictures not coming out to expectation really makes me nervous. I did some promo pictures for a friends signing for a record label and they came out ok and they were happy, but the girl I was photographing was a pain and her poses all looked so un-natural. That is all the experience I really have, minus a few drunk shots on nights out!

Obviously, I don't mind taking a few shots and would be quite happy to do so as a guest, but I think you are all right, they should find someone else.

Thanks again

Comment

Agree with all the above, If you can, run a mile, it's not for the faint hearted.

In addition to Ian's excellent checklist,
            Check with wherever the wedding ceremony is taking place to clarify rules/conditions regarding shooting the service.

In addition to Ian's point 1, I always had an agreed written shooting list with all the 'required' shots, leaving room for any additional. And if you can co-opt someone from the Wedding (I always tried to get one of the grooms men) give him/her the list.

Flash, to reinforce Ian's suggestion, an absolute must.

Expect the unexpected, nowt ever goes totally to plan.

And it definitely is about crowd control rather than equipment, you not only have to be a photographer, but also a referee, social worker, psychologist, confidant, best friend and occasionally a shoulder to cry on.
            Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
            Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
              Thanks everyone,

I really don't want to do it anyway. The idea of the pictures not coming out to expectation really makes me nervous.
              in that case do your friends a favor and say no thanks, if your nervous now when you have 100 plus people to control you'll struggle

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Bruiser,

I know that you are in a difficult situation vis a vis your friend. Your 6D + 24-105 will not let you down- it's an excellent combination. I would adhere to the advice/check list given by Ian (tigger) and Les above. You should make it quite clear to your friend that you have no experience in taking wedding photos and if he/she still insists that you take the pics, get a clear understanding that you should not be blamed if the pictures do not come to expectations. Most probably the pictures, atleast 75%, will come out OK. If the worst comes to the worst, set your mode dial on the GREEN SQUARE (the full auto mode) and fire away. You won't need a flash for your outdoor shots but indoors, even without flash the 6D can handle the pictures. Shoot on manual mode, auto ISO, auto WB, TV between 125- 160; AV f5.6- f8. I have taken all my church photos without flash and take a look at my pics on "portraits & people" thread. I have taken just one wedding pictures,for a friend and I do have a good check list from start to finish. If you PM me your address I will be happy to send it to you AIRMAIL at no cost to you. You can take that checklist and ask your friend what areas you would want him/her to cover.

One critical and important advice to you is that you should go to the venue well in advance- church/registry office/hotel and take some trial shots to familiarise yourself. Also if the wedding is in the morning or afternoon, you should not go in the evening to take your trial shots. You should go at the time of the wedding for your practice shots.

I hope you find this of some help.

Good luck
                Nat
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Has no-one mentioned mother of the bride? I don't think it matters very much what the bride and groom want, but if you fall foul of the bride's mother then you will have lost your friends.

I refuse to do weddings, especially for friends and their offspring. It really isn't worth the hassle. Go to the wedding as a guest and enjoy yourself. Take your camera if you must, but there will be plenty others there with cameras. If they really can't get (or more likely don't want to pay for) a replacement wedding photographer then just let them have a look at your personal pics and let them have copies of the ones they like best.

Presumably you have been invited to the wedding as a friend, then just go as a friend. The supply of wedding pictures is their problem - don't make it yours!

Comment

Originally posted by Sarawak View Post
                    Has no-one mentioned mother of the bride? I don't think it matters very much what the bride and groom want, but if you fall foul of the bride's mother then you will have lost your friends.
                    it depends who's paying the bill for the photographer ....but in this case if his contact is the couple then thats who I would be dealing with, however all the rest you posted I agree with..

I've done 2 friends weddings and its a PIA as people assume your just there to take photos like everyone else, the advantage you have on a paid wedding is they know your there to do a job so won't mind when your elbow makes contact with them whilst trying to get the shot you want

Comment

All has been excellent advise. There is not much to add except to emphasize what Les said about the light. Even if the Ceremony is outdoors, you will need to know how the sun is lighting the ceremony. This will dictate which metering system to choose and or if you will need a fill flash to light the subjects. If the wedding is all done in the shade, then I would agree with Nat that you most likely would not need a flash, however as the sun begins to set, your options are higher ISO & or a flash.

And like it was already stated, if you choose to accept this mission you need to be very clear to your friend that you are doing this as a favor and are not a professional, and you will need a 2nd person with you as support.

Tom

Comment

Thanks again everyone.

I really have so much to learn before taking a task like this. Taking picture is something I've taken up in the last year just for fun and its been self taught, so a lot of things like metering are above my head!

I do intend learning though. I bought a 6d on Boxing day (although I was planning in the future), because my 600d had a accident just before Christmas which involved the bottom being ripped out when the wind knocked my tripod over after I precariously balanced it on a bench to get a long exposure. Believe me, the lesson is learnt. The 600d does still work, but it needs holding together with gaffer tape... Anyway, on Boxing day, I was lucky enough to find a shop selling the 6d with 20% off, added to that, head office had marked the price tag with the wrong price by $300, which effectively gave a $922 discount or about a third off!

Since then, I haven't had much chance to use it, as I've just ended up on crutches! Also just found out someone has smashed into my car and has driven off... They say bad luck comes in three's....

The shot that killed my 600d below.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Bruiser; 29-12-2014, 21:38.

Comment

RUN - I kid you not, run away now. . . . . .

I have been talked into a few family weddings and I will never - I repeat NEVER - do another one, I take my hat off to the real wedding togs, it is a day / night of stress and you really do have to be able to control the guests / friends / family . . . . think herding wild cats with a pack of three legged blind ferrets. There are no second chances - people say you can redo / stage the photo's afterwards - you can't, it is a moment, a look, a feeling that cannot be acted.

as said by the others - go as a guest, take a camera if you like and offer them a few shots / prints as a gift afterwards, you will at least still have them as friends.

.DAVID.
                          Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Thanks again.

I can't believe how amazing the 6d is, I just love it. I had a go on a 5d mkiii a few months back, but I'm so happy I went with the 6d.

Learning funny little thing like back button focusing are an absolute joy! If anyone has any other little tips, please share. I've been using DSLR controller with it on a Nexus 7 and it works pretty well. Odd bug every now and then, but I suspect that is the new android operating system having reported issues with the Nexus.

Can't to get of crutches and get back out there.

One of my first pictures with it.

Comment

BBF changed the way I shoot and my keep rate has gone up substantially

I've seen the remote feature and Nexus system before but other than when shooting macro I really couldn't see any value to having a larger screen as I'm more than happy with what I get on camera

Comment

Working...
                              X