Rehearsing in the Cathedral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rehearsing in the Cathedral

Was in Salisbury a short while ago at the time of the Magna Carta 800 year anniversary. Salisbury Cathedral has one of the four copies of the Magna Carta and as part of their commemorations the cathedral had commissioned a piece of new music based on two clauses from the document. The afternoon we were in the cathedral the small choir and orchestra were rehearsing the piece for its premier that evening -

Cath Reh 1 by jeffersonics, on Flickr

Liked the view from behind as well -

Cath Reh 2 by jeffersonics, on Flickr

Very mixed age choir -

Cath Reh 3 by jeffersonics, on Flickr

The music was called "A Letter of Rights" by Tarik O'Regan, with words by Alice Goodman.

Not the sharpest of shots, but I just liked them. Taken hand-held, available light, with 7D and 24-105L (before it got soaked in tea - see my post "7D = tea-proof" in the camera section).

Cheers, Chris.
    Just chuggin' along.

Re: Rehearsing in the Cathedral

taken well its not the most forgiving camera in low light - I would have bracket that first shot and blended in PS - the second is nice and great detail, just not so sure we need to see so many chairs at the bottom and maybe crop some out - well taken on the third and that window really saved you otherwise light would have been a massive problem
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Chris, nice set, but in particular I really love that second shot; it is such a different view, but the light works brilliantly - great spot. I am with Ian on the first one, but since I have a whole load of bracketed cathedral shots on my hard drive from last week that I'm just about to process, I don't want to make a rod for my own back by saying anything critical. But would winding down the highlights and pulling out the shadows in RAW helped? Or have you already done those things?
      Canon EOS 7D
      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

All three are good and comments made along with my thoughts. The second with most of the chairs cropped is a real good 'un
        Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Thanks for the comments and suggestions for improvement.
          I didn't tinker with these - taken as Jpegs, not raw - because number 1 was how the concert was going to look, i.e. floodlight musicians against the darker cathedral interior behind them. Number 2 I just liked, but it doesn't make much sense without Number 1. Get the point about cropping a bit from the bottom.
          Was having a day out sight-seeing rather than a camera excursion - would like to return and try some HDR of the interior.
          Thanks again,
          Cheers, Chris.
          Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Very nice set Chris and agree with what's been said.
            Chris

60D, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM,
            EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 EX DC

Comment

Nice set Chris. Something different.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

As others, I do like no.2.
                Neil

Comment

Working...
                X