• Show
Clear All

Lehigh Professer

Shot taken @ the 25th International Day Festival @ Lehigh University

Camera 5DMKII 1/100 sec @ f/10, ISO 100 using EF50mm f/1.8

Comments Welcomed

Tom

Re: Lehigh Professer

While I like this portrait, like the pose/processing and space, not sure the subject would, the processing has highlighted the skin tones/wrinkes etc and perhaps doesn't complement her at her best.
    Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
    Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

I like this shot, Thomas, wrinkles and all! Nice B&W conversion, works well. The 'light' face really stands out against the darker BG.

Nice one! All the best, Mike.
      flickr
      5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Originally posted by Les McLean View Post
        While I like this portrait, like the pose/processing and space, not sure the subject would, the processing has highlighted the skin tones/wrinkes etc and perhaps doesn't complement her at her best.
        Thanks Les. The color version also highlights those aspects due to the Sun @ 1 PM was harsh and hitting her directly.

Tom

Originally posted by mikep View Post
        I like this shot, Thomas, wrinkles and all! Nice B&W conversion, works well. The 'light' face really stands out against the darker BG.

Nice one! All the best, Mike.
        Thank's Mike, glad you like it.

Tom

Comment

@ Les
          I’d agree with Les, however sometimes the onus is on the photographer to produce flattering images, and sometimes it’s not. I prefer to shoot when the later applies.

I like the shot Tom, I’m not too sure why you were shooting at F10.
          With that aperture in Av mode + evaluative metering, you could easy find yourself with a ‘shot spoilingly’ slow shutter speed.
          Just my two cents worth :-)

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
            I like the shot Tom, I’m not too sure why you were shooting at F10.
            With that aperture in Av mode + evaluative metering, you could easy find yourself with a ‘shot spoilingly’ slow shutter speed.
            Just my two cents worth :-)

Trev
            Hi Trev, Thanks for the comments. I was being a bit lazy as during this event I was interested in keeping a lager DOF in focus as I was shooting. It was a bright sunny day (should of had my polarizer with me) so I wasn't to worry about lower shutter speeds @ the time. How would have you set up the camera?

Thanks
            Tom

Comment

I was being a bit lazy as during this event I was interested in keeping a lager DOF in focus as I was shooting.
              Tom you were at 1/100 of a sec it only takes someone to step into shade or partial shade and you in blurry territory.
              That's before you include subject motion.

How would have you set up the camera?
              I'm a creature of habit I shoot single people outdoors the exact same way most the time - manual -when using a zoom lens it's between F2.8 & 4 - fill flash
              Everytime I'm in a new angle or light, I will make adjustments to shutter speed, if the shutterspeed is too slow for comfort I adjust the ISO.

Your image has had some processing, the subjects hair and face are bright, yet the BG is dark, I'm not sure if this is PP or how it was straight from the camera.

Bear in mind, I'm trying to be helpful, please feel free to disregard any comment or suggestions. We all have our own ways of snapping, not saying mine is better.

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post

I'm a creature of habit I shoot single people outdoors the exact same way most the time - manual -when using a zoom lens it's between F2.8 & 4 - fill flash
                Everytime I'm in a new angle or light, I will make adjustments to shutter speed, if the shutterspeed is too slow for comfort I adjust the ISO.
                Now on manual mode, do you use the shutter speed to meter the correct light or do you meter 1/2 stop to full stop below what the camera says since you using a fill light?

Your image has had some processing, the subjects hair and face are bright, yet the BG is dark, I'm not sure if this is PP or how it was straight from the camera.
                Using Elements I burned in some of the back ground to hide the people so the focus is strictly on the subject.

Bear in mind, I'm trying to be helpful, please feel free to disregard any comment or suggestions. We all have our own ways of snapping, not saying mine is better.
                No, your suggestions are very helpful as we all can learn something different. My view, when we decide that there is nothing left to learn or improve on, then we should be photographing daisy from underneath.

Thanks
                Tom

Comment

Tom,

In AV mode were you would use + or - exposure compensation, I'm altering the shutter speed.
                  As you know; that's a part creative / part technical call :-)

Trev

Comment

Working...
                  X