Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of my first portraits

Would love some feedback please, I'm extremely green
    First image is of my daughter Daisy and second image is Daisy and my new son Harry who is only 3.5 weeks in this shot

Daisy 007 by EmilyJohnson-76, on Flickr

Harry and Daisy by EmilyJohnson-76, on Flickr
    My Photos
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/61420654@N03/

Re: One of my first portraits

You don't look green to me, Emily. These are good shots. I particularly like the first. Daisy looks a natural in front of the camera.

Thanks for sharing

Ian
    EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Comment

Hello Emily

I love the portrait of Daisy. Very nice treatment with the pose and lighting and I also like the sepia effect. I would consider cropping a bit of the empty space above her head, but that is nitpicking.

The shot of both of them together is quite inspired, using a T shape. Never seen that idea before and it works very well. If you do any post processing with Photoshop or Elements, you may consider looking at the number of highlights in their eyes. The most natural looking is just the one highlight in each eye.

Well done.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

great shot in #1. maybe the only thing I would change in #1 would be trimming off the empty space at the top - possibly a square crop could be good??
        regards
        Donald

Comment

Hi Emily
          First of all well done, two nice images and looks like you know how to use flash/studio lighting.

#1 of Daisy is my favorite,though i have a few thoughts,- think there's to much room at the top of the image and would like a bit more cropped off that top section,as for the bear think you should have shown more of it or not used at all as you've cut it in half so not sure it adds anything to the image?

#2 good use of lighting but the whole image looks a little awkward.(though I'm sure it wasn't easy to capture)

Don't take these comment to heart as there only a suggestion, and my portrait photography is really bad so what do i know.
          All the best Paul.
          EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
          Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Ahh thank you so much for your nice comments, I've only been using my camera for a year but its surprising how quickly you get used to it although I think I suffer from a confidence issue! As for the studio lighting I havn't got a clue how to use it I bought a very cheap backdrop and lighting set from someone on ebay (the type everyone warns you to stay away from) and just had a play about.

These shots weren't partuarly hard to get, it was when I put my stepson into the equation thats things got rather difficult, I even broke out into a sweat Daisy kept moving and Harry is so young he wasn't always looking in the direction I wanted him to

Nathan Daisy & Harry by EmilyJohnson-76, on Flickr

Nathan Daisy & Harry by EmilyJohnson-76, on Flickr
            My Photos

Comment

Lovely images, great for the album. Well done.

Comment

Hi Emily I think they are a really nice set of family images,

Ray

Comment

These are great Emily, you have a good eye for what works, and of course you have some handsome/pretty models to work with.
                  Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
                  Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Harry is boss! What a great little face he has on the first of the three kids together...he looks like he is going to be a handful! Love the shots...and what great memories they will bring...especially when you get them out and blow them up to wall size on his 21st birthday! Ha...well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Les McLean View Post
                      These are great Emily, you have a good eye for what works, and of course you have some handsome/pretty models to work with.
                      I thought I comented on these earlier-obviously not. I agree with Les. Cracking set of images - you must be well chuffed.

Comment

over the moon with them, wish I had the camera when Daisy was a baby.
                        I'm gonna order 2 as canvas, one for my mum and one for mother and father in law. Neither of them know yet, can't wait to see their reactions!
                        My Photos

Comment

Let us know how you go on. Wonderful portraits. :tumbsup:
                          Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                          Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                          X