Bounce Flash Portrait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bounce Flash Portrait

Having spent a fair bit of time reading up on, watching tutorials and even trying off camera flash, I was not expecting great results from my 430 having to use it on the camera when I had my Son's 18th birthday come up last weekend, (I had resigned myself to getting just quick snap shots, just to get the moment and get as many of the people as I could with no time for posing or setting up.)

So I was over the moon with the way some of them came out; I had the 50 mm 1.8, so no zoom, camera set on manual; f10, 1/125th iso 400 430 exii set to E-ttl

bounced the flash off the ceiling and got some really nice shots, can only really post this one of my daughter though.

Point of the post is to say just how great these flashes are, even on camera, if used correctly - fantastic piece of kit

By celtex at 2012-06-17
    Last edited by celtex; 17-06-2012, 22:23.
    EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Re: Bounce Flash Portrait

I have a 430 too and agree with your comments re how good they are. I use mine with a small softbox which also gives lovely soft effect for portraits.

Your shot of your daughter is definitely one for the wall!

Peter.

Comment

This is nice, and I agree, by being a little creative with on camera flash can produce excellent results.

The only thing I would change is to her left there is a horizontal grey blobby line that I'd clone.
      Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
      Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Very well lit. thats a great portrait. would agree with Les on the grey blobby line
        regards
        Donald

Comment

Beautiful shot Celtex and lovely daughter. I also have the 430EX flash and it is very good.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
          X