• Show
Clear All

Jogger in the Mist

Taken this morning while walking the dogs

Canon 1Ds MKIII +50mm F1.4 lens

1/125sec @f3.5 ISO400

An a dog walker

1/80sec @f3.2 ISO400

Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
    Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Re: Jogger in the Mist

I love misty mornings and these don't disappoint.

Whilst both are excellent, the dogs are may favourite. The composoition works better and their is some interaction/story to interpret between the dogs and owner.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

I love these, very nicely done.
      I do prefer #2

Comment

I like the one with the dogs - it's very atmospheric. It looks very good in BW too.

Comment

Les, excellent pics as usual. My vote is also for the jogger with the dogs.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

another vote for the jogger with the dogs
            Raj
            Flickr

Comment

Both atpmospheric images Les in which you have captured the elements very well. The dogs get my vote the reasons for are as described very well and much better than I could put in to words by ColinC .
              Peter

Feel free to browse my
              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Just has to be #2

David
                David

Comment

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts.

They were taken on Chevin Forest Park , Otley, luckily from my bedroom window I can see across the fields to the Forest Park, I knew the mist would soon burn away, I also knew that it can produce the most beautiful light, so I quickly got up there with the dogs.

I chose the 50mm F1.4, as not only is it a fast and sharp lens, but by using a prime it's easier to pre-visualise a scene than it is with a zoom, i.e. thinking 50mm, to make the most of the mist along the path, I needed figures (not posed) in the scene, by using a fixed focal length, I could quickly compose to catch the moment.
                  I used evaluative metering, set to underexpose by a 1/3 stop to make sure the highlights came out OK, ISO 400 knowing I'd get a reasonable shutter speed hand held.

I do use my 50mm F1.4 quite a lot, but like a lot of us togs, I get lazy and stick a zoom on, forgetting the challenges/discipline and satisfaction you need and get using a prime
                  Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
                  Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Lovely, both of them. The only thing with the first one is it looks like one of those films where she jogs off into the distance and doesn't come back!

The 2nd you should sell to people who make cards and calendars. It's superb.
                    Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

like the 1st shot

Tom

Comment

Number two for me, with the diagonal sliding down from the height of the tree, the woman, the dogs
                        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                        Di's Flickr

Comment

I think they are both great images love the light you have captured in both shots, I also think #2 has the edge for the reasons given.

Ray

Comment

Working...
                          X