Charles Napier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charles Napier

Well, his statue in Trafalgar Square, shot at night using only the light coming from the cafes etc around the edge of the square. Just liked what was visible of his profile -

[img]
    Napier by chris.jefferson, on Flickr[/img]

50D + 24-105L, using a bollard for support and exposing/processing just for the silhouette/profile.

Any thoughts??

I think he was a famous soldier.

Cheers, Chris.
    Just chuggin' along.

Re: Charles Napier

Interesting shot Chris

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Chris, this doesn't do much for me.Sorry. Looks like an "evil" genie on the "prowl"!
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Chis on the lighting. I like it, although I think it is a little to centered.

Tom

Comment

Well spotted Chris, an interesting image, I see why you took it.
          I think the idea is a great one but the camera does not always replicate what we actually see.
          Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
          Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Agree with Tom.

David
            David

Comment

I agree its an interesting and unusual shot, which is what its all about!! Cheers
              Alun

Comment

One to divide people, but I like it. The stark black and white with no grey makes for a fascinating, slightly surreal image. The only issue with if for me is the lack of eyes which make the face look a little weird, but I guess you've got to live with what the light gives you in this situation.
                Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

I like this, reminds me of the lino cuts that we had to do in art.
                  Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                  Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by DeeGee View Post
                    I like this, reminds me of the lino cuts that we had to do in art.
                    agree
                    Really like this well done-evil genie or not

Comment

Napier was indeed a famous soldier. He fought in India/Afghanistan in the late 1800s. He is famous for a telegram he sent to The Foreign Office after a campaign in the Indian Mutiny. The telegram simply said "Peccavi". Those who know Latin will know this translates as "I have sinned". The campaign he was in was to capture the province of Sind. He was being a show-off.
                      So am I. Sorry. (He is a distant and remote ancestor of hubby!)

The photo nearly works for me, but his facial features are just not quite sharp enough.

Regards

Sara W.

Comment

Well seen and captured.

Colin
                        Colin

Comment

Thanks, all, for the views and comments.
                          I now agree with tesarver that the figure is too central - needs more space on the left. And Woolley is right that it would have been better if some eyes were showing - wish I had been carrying my LED torch that is usually in the camera bag, but, was travelling light.
                          And thank you, Sarawak, for the info about Charles. Why Sarawak? I've been there, a lovely place. Breakfast at the Kuching Hilton is probably one of the best in the world....

Cheers,Chris.
                          Just chuggin' along.

Comment

The Charles Napier is a fabulous Pub / Restaurant in The Chilterns.... not cheap but superb food.

David
                            David

Comment

Working...
                            X