Thai Dancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thai Dancer

Shot a 50th Birthday Event for a friend. His wife did a traditional Thai Dance for him during the party.

5DMKII w/EF24-105mm f/4 @ 75mm w/580EX Flash mounted on a Bracket w/Gary Fong Traditional Lightsphere.
    1/50 sec @ f/8, ISO A (400)

Processed in LR, Elements 11 w/NIK Colorefex Pro and Silverefex Pro

Comments Welcomed
    Tom

Re: Thai Dancer

Good one Tom, love the processing. I think you should have put a tad more room above the head tho. Cant get my arthritic fingers in those positios. Im trying now....no...it aint goin' to happen...unless I break something!
    WDYT of the GF light sphere? I was looking at a Whale Tail today, and it was £150 for a bit of plastic. Fortunately there was a chair nearby!

Comment

I too like the processing, really makes her stand out. Also agree on the comment about head room.
      Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
      Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by hhcanon View Post
        WDYT of the GF light sphere? I was looking at a Whale Tail today, and it was £150 for a bit of plastic. Fortunately there was a chair nearby!
        I use a unit like this, and it cost about the same price. There are plenty on-line. Works well. http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...d=0CIsBEPMCMAU

Good shot, Tom, but it does need more head-room, I think. Good exposure in difficult conditions.

Comment

Hi Robyn,

Thanks for looking and leaving a comment. The image is not cropped. There where other dancer, so I was trying to isolate her from the others in a small living room of a house, so it was tight at the top. I had just purchased the GF lightsphere just that morning of the event, to use at the event. I normally use a small softbox on the flash or a white diffuser, neither of which I like the overall results. So I bought this and the store siad I had two weeks in which to return the item, so basically I could use if for the event and return it if I didn't like it at no cost to me. Well to make a long story short, I was very pleased with the over all results of the images from the event. I set the camera up on manual @ 1/50 sec @ f/4 w/the ISO set to auto and a +1 EV for the flash output. Only moved to f/8 if I was doing group shots. With the sphere the flash needs to be vertical as the light is emitted 360 degrees from the sphere giving a soft light. At the close quarters at the party, I think it did very well, so I have opted to keep it.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by DeeGee View Post
            I too like the processing, really makes her stand out. Also agree on the comment about head room.
            Thanks Di for looking and leaving a comment.

Tom

Originally posted by Macro Meister View Post
            I use a unit like this, and it cost about the same price. There are plenty on-line. Works well. http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...d=0CIsBEPMCMAU

Good shot, Tom, but it does need more head-room, I think. Good exposure in difficult conditions.
            Thanks Macro Meister for looking and commenting

Tom

Comment

Im going to look at one of these diffusers. If my wife moans Tom, about the expense....I'll just blame you. LOL

Comment

No Problem Robyn. You can get one at Amazon for under $40

Tom

Comment

Tom, excellent,clear and detailed picture of a beautiful lady. The nearest I got to a Thai dancer was this "lady" taken in Bangkok.

Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Very nice Tom apart from the headroom nit

Stan
                    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                    flickr

Comment

Thanks Nat & Stan for looking and leaving a comment. Also nice picture Nat.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                        Very nice Tom apart from the headroom nit

Stan
                        Ditto from me too Tom

Slightly off topic Nat's image may have been a ladyboy
                        Peter

Feel free to browse my
                        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Thanks Peter. The Thai word for transvestite is Kathoey, which is what I thought he/she was.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                            Thanks Nat & Stan for looking and leaving a comment. Also nice picture Nat.

Tom
                            Be very Careful Tom. Thats "Wata....... something" - a lady boy! He wanted £10 for me to take a photo with him seated on my lap and when I declined reduced his charge finally to £2 which was also declined whereupon he became angry and abusive before walking away.
                            Last edited by Nathaniel; 26-10-2012, 22:26.
                            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Nice image Tom, really like the processing you have done with it, look's like you may have had a lucky escape Nathaniel, mind you I wouldn't have known, better go to "specsavers" before I visit Tailand.

Ray

Comment

Working...
                              X