Update - A few months on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update - A few months on

Back in January this year, I posted a portrait of my son (here)- he was trying to get into drama school, doing the rounds of auditons, it was very competitive - Wooley said he could see him in that situation - and Wooley, you were right: he did it, he got the school he really wanted and started life as a trainee Actor-Musician in September this year. As he was home this week I managed to grab another

I really love using the speedlite 430ex ii - the backcloth was a bit of garden weed suppressor from the shed - it just clung to the wall on it's own

nifty fifty at about f5.6 I thik, iso 100, flash at 200 (sync) flash off camera using wireless on ETTL through cheap white umbrella

done the tiniest bit of work in gimp - not much

I love this type of photography - just wish I could afford a full frame and an L lens! - one day.

I think he has grown up a bit in the months since the first one

C&C welcome.

Ian

EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Re: Update - A few months on

Ian,
    You may WANT a full frame camera and L lens but you don't NEED one if you can produce portrait photographs of such brilliant quality as in the example above!
    James
    James Boardman Woodend
    www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

That is really good Ian, he has changed since the last shot, he looks a bit more mean and moody!!

Only negative I can see is the shirt button, once you see it catching the light, it then seems to keep attracting the eye.

Still really good though

Regards Paul

Comment

That's a great shot Ian, you should keep this up each time he comes home, then put a montage of shots together!

I'm concerned at the state of your walls though, if the sheet can hang off it without being 'attached'! Can I recommend a cleaner?

All the best, Mike.
        flickr
        5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Ian,

I'd be proud to have taken that one. Well done.

Graydon
          Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
          EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Comment

A cracking image Ian.

I think he has grown up a bit in the months since the first one
            I think you're right.
            Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
            Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Ian, that is a First Class portrait !!
              .... and I concur with Jim on the need for L glass and FF !

Fred D

Comment

James, Paul, Mike, Graydon, Stephen and Fred,

many thanks for your comments.

Paul, I agree about the button - bit of Gaussian blur and selective brightness might sort that I think? and MikeP, the anti-weed-matting is very lightweight and very, very clingy - honest!

Thanks again

Ian

Comment

Yes cracking portrait. You will learn as you shoot this kind of photography. That's the fun, learning and producing something worthwhile.
                  Cheers
                  Treff

Comment

Originally posted by celtex View Post
                    and MikeP, the anti-weed-matting is very lightweight and very, very clingy - honest!
                    Well, you would say that wouldn't you? I'll believe you!

All the best, Mike.
                    flickr
                    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Originally posted by mikep View Post
                      Well, you would say that wouldn't you? I'll believe you!

All the best, Mike.
                      you know when you have been working with your hands, and they are rough and you pick up something fluffy and you can't shake it off? - that is how clingy this stuff is I just held it up and flattened it out with my hands and went to get some tape, but it just stayed there - for an hour!

great stuff - think I may buy a load in bulk and repackage it as self-stick photobackground!

Ian

Comment

Here is one of his sister from the same 'session', I had a harder time with deciding on the brightness and contrast on this one - she was in a kind of Clockwork orange inspired costume for a sixth form party - actually I was set up for this , only took the one of my son as a test shot first.

Thanks for looking

Ian

Comment

Good shots.
                          Black on black can be tricky if you want separation between the subject and the BG,great for a 1 light shot tho.

Maybe there's not enough separation on the first on one RH side, not sure ?

The 2nd one is my fav of these two.
                          did you use a reflector Cam left on the 2nd one ?
                          Trev

Comment

Hi Trev,

Yes. Well spotted! I was not too bothered about separation - I set this up to grab a quick shot of my daughter, I had only minutes, as I had to take my son somewhere (which is why he was on hand) I was ready to go out and daughter was not quite ready so she quickly came down for the shot, Son had just stood in as a test for the settings. When she came down, I had my Son hold my home made reflector (a side from a cardboard box to which I have Pritt-stick'ed some kitchen foil!

Thanks for the comments

Ian

Comment

Yet again, SUPERB portrait Ian !

Comment

Working...
                              X