• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lifestyle

Trying out some lifestyle portraits.

C& C welcome

Re: Lifestyle

First off I'm no portrait photographer but I like these. Only comment I'd make in on No. 3 and that is the left side of her face seems to be lit more than the right so it throws it out of balance if you see what I mean.
    Cliff Hobbs
    Wannabe Architectural Photographer - Always willing to listen and learn

Comment

I like these, they do it for me... before I read Cliff's coment about number 3 I had not noticed it so for me, not a big deal.... nice.
      EOS 1DX, EOS 5D mkiii, EOS 7D, EF 17-40mm f4 L USM, EF 24-70mm f2.8 L II USM, EF 70-200mm f2.8 L II IS USM, EF 50mm f1.2 L, EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro USM, Speedlite 580EX

Comment

Visually - 1 & 2 are good for me, I like the really close-up tightly framed look, and the fact her hair is not absolutely perfectly coiffeured.
        Technically - they look nice and sharp, but is the corner vignetting deliberate? Not sure it gives anything to the image.

Comment

THese really are stunning shots. Just be careful of the sharpening around the eyes - looks like the eyelid in No2 is a little over sharp (maybe just the small image size though).

Can I ask your setup? I think I see a large softbox and possibly a triflector reflected in the eyes?

JD
          5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Thanks Jim, appreciate the comments, The setup is one softbox on a rail at about 45 degrees and yes the wonderful triflector, I love it, best piece of kit I have.

I think the artifacts around the eye on number 2 was sloppy editing on my behalf, I use the Kodak GEM plugin to smooth the skin and then layer mask the top image to brush through to the unsmoothed layer to bring the sharpness back in the hair and other details, sometimes the plugin smoothes out the eyes a little so I brush through to bring them back and I think this is where I was a little sloppy.

The vignetting is deliberate, I like it t bring attention to the centre of the image, thanks for the comments :-)

J

Comment

Originally posted by JayKay View Post
              Thanks Jim, appreciate the comments, The setup is one softbox on a rail at about 45 degrees and yes the wonderful triflector, I love it, best piece of kit I have.

J
              Yes I need to buy a boom to get my softbox higher and able to shoot down onto the triflector - Not used it much but I love it too :)
              5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Working...
              X