Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for some advice please....

Originally posted by colin C View Post
    In Kenya, I spent some time with a Masai Chief and he queried why I only had one wife?

I asked how many he had and he replied nine.

I replied that meant he had nine mother-in-laws.

Hmmm ................. I see your point mister Colin!

Colin
    I would have said that fitness levels would not tolerate more than one wife! Thats certainly my scenerio!
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Hi David,

Since you’re going to ‘go for it’, here are some tiplets for you, hope they're not too obvious and basic.

Out of courtesy, I would get permission from the restaurant manager to use the DSLR and flash, this has been mentioned.

Use the 50mm as Brain has said, also shorter lenses are easier to hand-hold at slower shutter speeds.

Be careful with wide apertures – try to get people on the same tightish focal plane. EG That Can be a little more difficult at round tables

Watch out for highly reflective surfaces like mirrors etc – and people wearing glasses when using the flash

I’d start off with the camera in manual @ 800 ISO F2.8 ish, and somewhere between 1/30 and 1/60 sec just leave the flash on ettl.
      Take a test shot and alter the shutter speed, faster towards 1/60 or slower towards 1/30 .

Half empty glasses and untidy tables can make the scene look chavvy, sort this out, or shoot when the coffees arrive, and the table has been cleared.

Just follow the basic composition rules and you should be OK. Flash 45 degrees bouncing off the ceiling, some people say that wrong, but it works for me.

Happy shooting, look forward to seeing the results
      Millie

EDIT this advice is based on ' my best guess' of what the lighting conditions will be like based on what you've said. If you're not shooting in raw set a custom WB
      Last edited by Millie; 04-03-2010, 15:26. Reason: adding

Comment

Millie,
        Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my query.
        My "little black book" in the camera bag is rapidly filling up with info.
        Actually I am looking forward to this as I think it will be a fun "challenge" especially as my sister-in-law will be there and she is the typical person who hates being photographed and usually raises the two fingers... oh why can't people be more original???
        If all else fails then there is always the TZ6 in the pocket
        Thanks
        David

EDIT: was going to set the WB for flash. I am shooting in RAW and JPEG. I know that in DPP I can change the WB and will very soon stop shooting in JPEG and just shoot RAW as I am getting more comfortable shooting RAW..... next I will have a go at HDR as I have seen some stunning results... also seen some absolute shockers as well
        Last edited by djguk47; 04-03-2010, 15:33.
        David

Comment

The table cloth might be white so you'll have reference to correct it in PP.

I've never used the WB presets apart from daylight.

HDR ?? - stop cursing David !

Most of the reason I suggested the TZ6 is for convenience and camera security.

May I take your coat and Camera bag sir.......... ??

Millie

Comment

Thanks again Millie.
            The table cloth might be white
            hmmmm white table cloth after an Italian meal.... a little bit like saying " Army Intelligence"

May I take your coat and Camera bag sir.......... ??
            We are a nice friendly bunch in The Chilterns but a very valid point and something I had not thought of.

Think I will just shoot RAW as too much hastle setting up a Custom WB just for JPEG

Thanks
            David
            David

Comment

I'd go with P mode and bounce the flash - I used this to good effect at a wedding recently having been advised by a 'proper' wedding photographer.
              Manual is fine but it just introduces too many opportunities for error until such work becomes routine.

Also go wide angle but not too extreme - 24mm and higher - otherwise your pics might be spoiled with too much distortion. 50mm is like 80mm full frame so getting a bit telephoto - you may struggle to get far enough away. I bet you cant get more than two people in an image with 50mm in a small restaurant.

As if you didn't have enough advice already eh!
              Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by Millie View Post
                Be careful with wide apertures – try to get people on the same tightish focal plane. EG That Can be a little more difficult at round tables
                For me, that's the hardest one to remember and I've been caught out by it a few times. A lovely group picture with 2 or 3 out of focus members. They're almost never pleased by that trick!
                Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Working...
                X