Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Bit of Fun... The Luck of the Irish....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Bit of Fun... The Luck of the Irish....

St. Patrick's Day... Waxy's Irish Pub, Frankfurt am Main

Ok... I didn't take the last 2, but it was my camera.....
    EOS 1DX, EOS 5D mkiii, EOS 7D, EF 17-40mm f4 L USM, EF 24-70mm f2.8 L II USM, EF 70-200mm f2.8 L II IS USM, EF 50mm f1.2 L, EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro USM, Speedlite 580EX

Re: A Bit of Fun... The Luck of the Irish....

Looks like you had a great time - thanks for sharing that with us!
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Why is St. Paddy's day celebrated all around the world quite so well?

Apart from St. Nicholas (aka Father Xmas) don't know of any other saint that enjoys such a following!

Surely it's not just an excuse for a Guiness or two
      I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
      Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Originally posted by Canon-Fodder! View Post
        Why is St. Paddy's day celebrated all around the world quite so well?

Apart from St. Nicholas (aka Father Xmas) don't know of any other saint that enjoys such a following!

Surely it's not just an excuse for a Guiness or two
        The celebration of St. Paddy's day started of course in Ireland. As the 17th of March falls in the Christian festival of Lent, the Church in Ireland lifted the restrictions on eating so St. Paddy's day became a day of feasting, drinking,dancing and wenching.
        As the Irish spread around the world they took it with them. As it was a good excuse to eat and drink during Lent it was taken up by locals until it grew into what it is today...
        EOS 1DX, EOS 5D mkiii, EOS 7D, EF 17-40mm f4 L USM, EF 24-70mm f2.8 L II USM, EF 70-200mm f2.8 L II IS USM, EF 50mm f1.2 L, EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro USM, Speedlite 580EX

Comment

Thanks for that Ian... being a heathen (!) I didn't realise it's history...

But I'm glad to have learnt my lesson for the day - now I can go home - and work on my thoughts for the current 'EOS Forum Challenge'
          I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
          Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

And there was me thinking I was a lone heathen!

Colin
            Colin

Comment

Just to add to what Ian has mentioned about St.Patricks day, the Anglicans too celebrate the fourth Sunday in Lent as "refreshment sunday"; a time to have a bit of fun and enjoyment during the Holy season of Lent. The Gospel for Sunday 14th March is about Christ feeding the five thousand. So there is good eating & some mild drinking around that time, within the Anglican communion in England as well!
              Many will remember 14th March as Mothering Sunday named from the Epistle for that Sunday referring to Jerusalem being the "mother of us all".

So who says that the forum does not have some religion discussed as well?
              Last edited by Nathaniel; 19-03-2010, 12:18.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I like the pictures, nice and cheerful, captures the fun, celebratory mood.

So who says that the forum does not have some religion discussed as well?
                I prefer Christian rock bands to mainstream ones.

I think it was the legendry Cliff Richardson who said, “Why should the devil have all the good music ?”

Hallelujah !

Millie

Comment

Originally posted by Millie View Post
                  I like the pictures, nice and cheerful, captures the fun, celebratory mood.

I prefer Christian rock bands to mainstream ones.

I think it was the legendry Cliff Richardson who said, “Why should the devil have all the good music ?”

Hallelujah !

Millie
                  I think you mean Sir Cliff Richards

Ian

Comment

I think you mean Sir Cliff Richards
                    LOL..yeah Right !

I see the "Kiss me, I'm Irish" badge worked a treat Ian !
                    Millie

Comment

It did didn't it.... he he he... I am a fraud.. actually Scottish... but what the heck...

Comment

Working...
                      X