Brief Encounter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brief Encounter

Taken at the Pickering 'War Weekend' in North Yorkshire.

This was a very satisfying image to take, as for once all the elements fell into place. There were steam trains running from Pickering station, and I saw this young squaddie chatting to his girl, the engine was getting up steam for the journey, but there was loads of people milling about , and one guy in a red anorak kept walking in front of my lens (probably a train spotter).

The train guard realised what I was trying to achieve, and moved the crowds back from the train for a minute or so. I got my shot....was I grateful

1DS MKII, 135mm F2 lens, 1/800 sec @f2.8, ISO400

Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
    Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Re: Brief Encounter

Hi Les;

An absolute cracker... well done... and well done to the train guard as well!

Have you tried a B/W or Sepia conversion on it to give it that 'real' 1940's feel ? I think that might well work here... I sense it would hide some of the PP work that seems to be evident ! Apologies if I'm wrong here... No offence intended !
    I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
    Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Originally posted by Canon-Fodder! View Post
      Hi Les;

An absolute cracker... well done... and well done to the train guard as well!

Have you tried a B/W or Sepia conversion on it to give it that 'real' 1940's feel ? I think that might well work here... I sense it would hide some of the PP work that seems to be evident ! Apologies if I'm wrong here... No offence intended !
      I think you are right, a b/w or sepia conversion would work, the reason I haven't is two fold, first I particularly liked the red flower in her hair, and secondly her very white hair is on the verge of being blown in the colour version, I just couldn't keep any detail at all in a B&W version for some reason?
      Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
      Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Superb Les.

I particularly like the lack of depth of field by using f2.8 on this shot. The red flower and bright red lipstick are the "hotspots" and typical for the period. Much as a sepia/BW could be considered, I would hate to lose the reds, which tie into the subdued burgundy of the carriages.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Just an "off the wall" thought.... how would it work in B&W picking out the prime colours..... ( puts on WWII tin hat and runs for cover as the professionals on the forum launch a barrage of missiles..... )
          David
          Last edited by djguk47; 30-04-2010, 13:27.
          David

Comment

It's a fair thought David, but ....................... colour popping was really good the first couple of times you see it, when it is new and fresh and used on an appropriate photo. However, once everybody gets on the bandwagon and it's been done to death, even on a very appropriate photo, it can look a bit naff.

I did one of these shots in January and went through the same decision process for the final treatment. Do I:

Make it Black & White?
            Sepia Tone?
            Colour Pop?
            Subdue Colour?

In the end, I chose to subdue the colour very slightly and that worked best for me. If I had taken this shot, the reds are too predominent for that treatment and I have no doubt that Les has gone through the same process, before finalising his thoughts on how to present the shot.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

Just my view, but I like it as it is.
              Nice one Les.

Comment

I believe that Les has been lucky enough to get into his TARDIS and arrive at a time which many of us never experienced, thank goodness. This image portrays what we have been told it was like, the colours were vibrant because little else was in those days. If an artist had painted this scene with oil he would have used the vibrant reds he would not have painted in black & white or sepia and people looking at the painting in the current time would say wow the artist has captured the feeling of the day.
                Les has achieved that with this image. It is a great capture of the days gone just the way it is.
                David
                David

Comment

Bloody hell David, that is .................................. almost poetic!

Colin
                  Colin

Comment

Working...
                  X