Street photography tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Street photography tips?

I am wanting to get into street photography but, being English, am a bit nervous about it! My one attempt a couple of years ago which rather put me off was to take some pictures at St. Pancras station in London when I was soon approached by security staff and told to stop. This is an example of the sort of stuff I was taking. So I am wondering if any of you can give some tips about how to go about street photography? English contributions would be especially appreciated as somehow there seems to be a different mentality about the acceptance of photographers in public than in some other countries especially the USA.

Many thanks.

Re: Street photography tips?

Benedictine, if you want to take photos in a public place, such as a store or similar place you will have to get permission from the owners or there security people first. Hereare a couple of links which may be of help to you. http://www.sirimo.co.uk/2009/05/14/u...ers-rights-v2/ http://www.urban75.org/photos/photog...html#buildings
    brian.
    Last edited by expose4; 24-08-2009, 01:44.

Comment

Thanks for the links, seems that as long as you are in a public place and use your common sense you are generally okay.

Comment

Do be prepared to still be approached by security guards over stepping their remit, & PCSOs ignorant of the law.

Comment

Have you thought about taking photos at festivals (like the Notting Hill Carnival) and other public events? These can be great for street photography, lots of people around, lots of people having a good time and who don't mind being photographed - the performers especially.

It can be a good way to 'warm up' and get used to photographing strangers.

Comment

It's worth noting you can take photographs in any public place (as long as it's not privately owner) without having to get permission. There's also nothing stopping you standing in a public place and taking photographs of something private. No one can tell you to stop and not even a police officer has the powers to make you delete an image/destroy your film.

Comment

2nd what Kipper said.

Be careful though, some seamingly public roads are infact privately owned.

My general advice is just to avoid eye contact in the crowd you're trying to take pictures of (better still, look behind them at a building or an object, as if your shooting that) If people feel you are singling them out, that's when they feel violated, especially if they have children with them.

Police are often just curious as to what you are taking pictures of, so be polite and explain what you are doing.

As an example, I was at the G20 summit protest (before the riots) and wanted to take a picture of the closed off streets before the march came through. A policeman asked what I was doing, but being polite, he instead offered his assistance and gave a better position to shoot in than I intended.

Comment

Are any of you experienced at street photography? I have always been a bit to scared to try it. Please tell more about your experiences. Is it best to use a compact or a slr camera for street photography.
                RuthieC

Comment

Thanks everybody for this discussion, some good things coming from it for me. I also started the same discussion on another board with very interesting results, especially some links to a couple of good street photographers. Have a look at http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/805180/0#7445692 Some of the stuff these people do is fantastic!

Comment

Ah yeah Cartier-Bresson and his decisive moment.

If you're looking for inspiration look no further than Garry Winogrand. My favourite street photographer and his stuff is great, might even get you reaching back for the B&W film :P

Also check out Joel Meyerowitz there are some videos of him knocking about on youtube detailing how he moves through the crowd so as to not get noticed so much etc. really interesting watch.

Comment

Just to get going, find a beach or other leisure area where there are so many other people wih cameras that nobody will take any notice of you.

I went to Weymouth sea front last year and took loads of shots, surrounded by a heaving mass of humanity. I even got a shot of a couple of policemen and they said nothng (mind you it was of the back of their heads)

Neil Gott

Comment

An idea I read in a mag.
                        Use live view. Hold the camera below eye level and reach over with your left hand to press the shutter. Certainly does not look like you are taking a pic.
                        Ian

Comment

Working...
                        X