People & sculptures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People & sculptures

This is perhaps a dumb question. However, are the rules for human portraiture applicable to works of art like sculptures,statues etc i.e to shoot/focus between the eyes etc etc!!
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: People & sculptures

No rules that spring to mind Nathaniel, but focus on the eyes seems a good start.
    • One thing I used to consider was the direction of lighting. Side lighting shows the line and texture of the sculpture more and I often went back to shoot at a different time of day to take advantage of better light.
    • Try to be on the same level as the sculpture. Unless you are trying for something different, looking up at a sculpture can give some strange results.
    • Consider you background. If it will add to the picture, stop the lens down well. If it detracts from the picture, open the lens aperture to blur the background.
    • Be prepared to wait for the shot. The right light, time of day, people to clear the shot, or even people in the shot. Decide what you want and don't compromise.
    Does that help?

Colin
    Colin

Comment

All the above and.......

You'd focus on a person's eyes to capture the colour and detail in the pupils, statues seldom have this level of detail in the eyes.

On the plus side, they don't tend to blink.

Millie

Comment

Originally posted by Millie View Post
        On the plus side, they don't tend to blink.
        Millie
        Or move just as you press the shutter, or get embarrassed posing nude, or shiver in the cold ...
        Sometimes I drink water. I like to give my liver an occasional surprise!

Comment

Or ask to see the pic on the LCD screen, and bitch that you made them look ugly, and demand you take another shot

Millie

Comment

I only take pictures of good looking women so I dont get that problem - and if they complain I give them another carrot
            ef-r

Comment

I only take pictures of good looking women so I dont get that problem - and if they complain I give them another carrot
              I give them another ------------ I don't know what mooses eat ? :-)))

Millie

Comment

Originally posted by Millie View Post
                I give them another ------------ I don't know what mooses eat ? :-)))

Millie
                Respect
                ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                  I have noticed that plus of course a good figure!
                  Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                  X