Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My First Ever Wedding Shots and Possibly Last!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Ever Wedding Shots and Possibly Last!!

Hello All,

As with Nathanial, I also have recently shot my first ever Wedding, done as a favour for a Nurse friend of SWMBO.

Despite all the research, book reading, note taking, planning etc I was still petrified.

It was a really dull day and the ceremony room was badly lit and the Registrar would not allow Flash, I had the ISO at 3200 and the 24-70L wide open at F2.8 and for some shots could still only get 1/40th, there was also no room for a tripod, hence my struggle, not to mention my hands shaking as badly as the Grooms!!!

Anyway, some shots below, well sharpened and with a lot of noise reduction in Lightroom, C and C welcome.

Paul
    Final Touches from Mum

The Boys all dressed and ready to go

The look that says I have done it!!

Making it Official

Relaxed now

Joy with the Boys
    Last edited by pelliott1954; 23-11-2010, 21:19.

Re: My First Ever Wedding Shots and Possibly Last!!

I know what you mean, i shot my nieces wedding and hated every minute of it

Comment

Paul
      Everyone seems to think the 24-70 is the lens that does it all. You need a range of lenses including fast primes for the very reasons you note. f2.8 is often too slow.

You look as if you have smoothed the skin a little too much on 3, 4 and 5 but they're all nice. I wonder if 1 would look better in B&W?
      5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

I found the nifty fifty and the 135 f2 (for portraits) to be excellent (on the ff 5d)
        ef-r

Comment

Yes Brian I agree :)

That 135 would be a fantastic addition to my kit - unfortunately I have too many other things that are higher priority!

On a crop body the 85 f1.8 is very close. I use the 85 and 50 when I need that extra speed.
          5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Something I swore I'd never do, so good on you for having a go.

I to think the skin smoothing has been over done on a couple of shots.

As for the lenses, we can now see why the 17-55 f2.8 IS is such a great lens for a cropper.

Comment

Everyone seems to think the 24-70 is the lens that does it all
              It is if it's the only lens you have....

Comment

Aye :)

Comment

Sorry you didn’t enjoy the experience.
                  I agree with the others comments on the processing, perhaps you can improve on the PP ?

Once you’ve supplied a couple of dozen images of the key moments that the B&G like, you can draw a line under it. Then move forward based on what you’ve learnt about shooting at that particular venue + the light outside on the day.

It is if it's the only lens you have....
                  Was the 24-70 2.8L your only lens ?

Trev

Comment

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies so far and the advice of course.

I was worried about the over smoothing of the faces on close ups particularly, the pics were all noisy, especially the indoor ones at ISO 3200, in Lightroom the faces seem to jump from still noisy to waxlike over a couple of millimetres movement on the slider.

Thankfully I haven't handed over the pic's yet so can make some more adjustments, interesting to note also, how different screens make this problem more pronounced, they look far worse on the Company Laptop I am using at the minute than they do on my own laptop on which I did all the PP work.

In regard to lenses, as well as the 24 - 70mmL I do have a 50mm F1.4, a10mm - 22mm Wide Angle, 100mm-400mmL and 17 - 85mmIS, I should have changed to my 50mm F1.4 for the ceremony but I had so little room I would only have got relative close ups, plus I only have the 50D, so it would have meant swapping lenses, well that's my excuse!!!

On top of that I was sweating so much I would probably have dropped something!!!

SWMBO now has another Nurse wanting my services!!!!( only photographically) On the positive side this may turn into an excuse to buy a 7D so I can carry and use 2 cameras!!!

Thanks Again, Paul

Comment

Perhaps someone on the list could come as second photographer to share the burden?
                      ef-r

Comment

A second shooter can be a big help on the day.

Comment

Maybe Nathaniel's free for a bit of second shootng ??

Comment

Originally posted by Millie View Post
                            Maybe Nathaniel's free for a bit of second shootng ??
                            Millie, I need a big rest after my nerve racking experience in the poor light!!! I need to RECOVER from last week and it's going to take a long time!!!
                            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Paul - where do you live? - we could sort something out if you want?
                              ef-r

Comment

Working...
                              X