Where should the line be drawn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where should the line be drawn?

With kids growing up faster and faster these days, a question I have struggled with in our studio is: where does one draw the line in terms clothing that will be permitted during a shoot and types of poses one will use. I'm not looking for a debate on Jock Sturges type imagery, but rather general studio portraiture of children. For example, in the enclosed photo of my 10 year old niece, her clothing is bright but conservative, but the pose is more suggestive of an older model. I'd love to hear others' thoughts on where the line should be drawn, if at all. Please feel free to post photos to illustrate your points - whether you do studio photography or are an amateur with an opinion to share. Please no nudity or imagery that in any way even approaches legal boundaries, but input on giving latency age kids the "model photo shoot experience" that they seek while still being faithful to moral and ethical beliefs and the associated issues that should concern any one of us who work with children. It amazes me what even toddlers come out with when their parents tell them to "pose like a model." Thank you to anyone who has an opinion or a thoughtful ponderance.

Shawn.
    Attached Files

Re: Where should the line be drawn?

There are many considerations, such as how the image is to be used, who commissioned it, is there parental consent etc. Unfortunately we do have to rely on the morals and ethics of the "photographer" and hope no damage is done. In any instance, I find pressure from anyone (parent or photographer) to perform for the camera a bit 'on the edge'. I worry about these beauty competitions for tots on national TV. I find it quite disturbing how parents pressure the children into doing well.

Another reason why this is a good topic to discuss is that there are many photographers out there who would be fantastically good at child portraiture, but who shy away from it for fear of being labeled a menace.

I don't know where to draw the line, but hope photographers everywhere apply good common sense when taking photos of kids – there own or other peoples'.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. When posting, I had forgotten about young child/toddler "beauty" competitions - right on point, however, so thank you for your thoughtful reply.

Comment

I agree with what has been highlighted here, unfortunately we live in a present day society where the presumption of ulterior motives is the order of the day. I have 5 beautiful grandchildren all five years and under who not only love playing up to the camera, but the older two enjoy taking pics too with kids digital cameras. I am extremely careful about what pictures I take and post - as it is, even a parent taking the stock, innocent childhood images of bath-time could find themselves being asked awkward questions about their intentions.

I understand the need for children and the vulnerable being protected, but the current universal assumption that everyone is a potential pedophile, especially if they have a camera, is also unfair discrimination.

For many years my wife and I fostered and faced many situations where we had to treat the looked after children quite differently from our own, even though the stated aim was to integrate the kids as far as possible as part of our family. Taking holiday snaps was one of the issues - for my own offspring pulling out family albums years later has always been a fun filled session, but there is not much in the albums of extended family members, which is a shame given how important it has been for my own kids to revisit their past through such albums.

Comment

Thank you for your comments. We used to have my son at 7 days old on our business card. He was shot in kind of a traditinal pose - on his stomach with knees bunched up and head turned toward the camera. There was no butt "crack" or genitals showing. I happened to have a group come in for some family reunion photos and one person thought he was a big cheese as he worked for the public prosecutor and did I know he "could have me charged with a felony" if he wanted. After I collected the family's sitting fee, I made sure I spoke with his boss later that week. I got a formal letter of apology for this gentleman's grandstanding.

The topic that started this thread was really highlighted in the US when Anne Lebowitz shot a picture of teenage celebrity Miley Cyrus with a bare back and her chest covered with a sheet. I'm not looking to come out for or against this, but the media blew things way out of proportion and the actress needed to skip Disney sponsored events for a while. Not sure if she is popular across the pond or not, but the story was an interesting example for this thread.

Comment

We have all taken the traditional childhood photos of our children at bath time, having their tummies kissed, or raspberries being blown on them, usually resulting in howls of laughter and giggling fits, and some great photographic memories. I have loads of my daughters, in such situations, from when they were kids, but I now have to think twice before showing them to even friends and family. The problem here is that all of us innocent photographers have been influenced, and conditioned by the minority of tut tutters, into feeling guilty about completely innocent situations. I believe we have all lost one of lifes greatest pleasures, simply watching our own children growing up, and being able to document it in photos. What on earth has gone wrong with the world. As for where one should draw the line regarding clothing, poses etc, I believe we should just allow our children to be exactly that.......children. Why is everyone so intent to have our children skip childhood altogether and jump from being cute little gurgling babies, to being sultry models, in the blink of an eye. Why on earth anyone should even want to take a photo of a 10 year old, posing as though she was in a glamour shoot is beyond my comprehension. She should be photographed playing on the swings with her chums, or digging holes on the beach, or chasing butterflies...... in other words, simply being a child. There is plenty time for the grown up poses when she is properly grown up.
            My Website

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Canon View Post
              ..... Why on earth anyone should even want to take a photo of a 10 year old, posing as though she was in a glamour shoot is beyond my comprehension. She should be photographed playing on the swings with her chums, or digging holes on the beach, or chasing butterflies...... in other words, simply being a child. There is plenty time for the grown up poses when she is properly grown up.
              Bobby....I couldn't agree more with you...let children be children, not little adults...!

All too often you can see these kids being "sexualised"...predominantly by the media, but quite often by the very parents who we, as photographers, are looking to for some direction when asked to take snaps of them...

Dougie.
              ...there is symmetry in chaos....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mosscroft-images/
              http://500px.com/DouglasMcMann/

Comment

Well put, both of you. Thank you for your well-stated replies.

Comment

I have 2 boys a 1 yr old and a 3yr old. I find myself being very careful about what i shoot. For example a bath time shoot with their female cousin showed only their heads. I have taken pics of the boys playing starkers - but having genuine fun just being a family in the garden - in the paddling pool - but ended up never getting them printed in case i got arrested! (Dont have my own printer)

In a studio I dont have any experience, however, I tend to be fairly conservative with my thoughts. Personally until someone is over 18, I would move away from provocative style shots. Let kids be kids, there is so much pressure to grow up - I saw another 3yr old in high heels the other day (female!) whats that all about?!?!? Cant remember where I saw it now, but there was a story bout 23 yr old model being withdrawn from an advertising campaign because she looked too young.. Ha found this link read about it here..

Comment

thanks for the link - does playing starkers mean playing naked? (Sorry, I'm a stupid American)

Comment

Correct Spud. Starkers means naked.
                      My Website

Comment

thank you very much

Comment

Working...
                        X