Curious portrait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curious portrait

I took this some while back at a rehearsal for a show. I liked it straight away, although i don't know why, and the main subject loves it even though it doesn't fit any of the rules or guidelines for photography. On that basis, I'm curious what other photographers think of it.

It was literally grabbed on the spur of the moment, so the girl arriving from the right wasn't expected but I think she adds something to the picture. Comments and criticism welcomed.

[/IMG]
    Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Re: Curious portrait

Hi Woolley

I like the shot.
    The girl adds to the detail.
    Good grab!

DaveH

Comment

I agree. Sometimes lady luck smiles in your direction.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

You instantly process the shot as the action the guys are looking at, the fact that the girl is nothing to do with it and whether that is a uniform he's wearing. That was my snapshot of instant curiosity about it. That maybe what the picture has, a sort of dual focus, one hard to the right, then the girl soft, to the left.
        Difficult to explain But I see why you like it, you could put that up on a wall to stand back and look, then have a job taking it down again,

Comment

A very nice candid
          ef-r

Comment

As you say it breaks most of the rules other than the main one, it works and I think works well

Comment

It looks like something from Most Haunted.....but it keeps you looking and looking and looking, the more I look, the more I like, I find I keep coming back to it time after time.........Luck or Genius......If it was my photo I would put it down to pure Genius.........I just looked at it again...AAAAAhhhhhhhhhhh

Joanne (sorry I cannot give very technical feedback as I am a beginner but I can tell you what makes me want to keep coming back)
              To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, it's good to see it has the same reaction from you all. I'd like to claim genius, but I can't. It was quite a decent shot before Charlotte appeared in the corner and my first reaction was 'damn, spoiled it'. When I downloaded them I was about to mark it for rejection when I decided it was OK and the more I looked at it the better I liked it. Absolutely no idea why but there's a certain air of mystery about it. Most importantly, Will (the main subject) loves it and asked for the full size image. When he's a famous actor (and there's a chance he could be) it might be worth a few quid!
                Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

If I might guess why it works?

1. She frames the picture and makes an irregular border
                  2. He is then on the 1/3 of the remainder of the area

I might be tempted to do something about the white flash on the shoulder of the other person.

Brian
                  ef-r

Comment

I like it. I agree with Brian's points
                    5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                      2. He is then on the 1/3 of the remainder of the area
                      You may well have hit the nail on the head with that one, hadn't spotted that.

Comment

Hi Woolley,
                        I like it a lot. the composition helps as always, but there is an air of concentration in his look and you cannot help but wonder what has caught the attention of the subject and his companion. great shot.
                        David

EOS 1000D EFS18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Kenko DG Extension Tubes

Please bare with me on replies to your comments as my work commitments keep me away from here during the week.
                        All of your comments and advice are gratefully received and appreciated though

Comment

Working...
                        X