Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In The Frame

Hi All
    Following on from Mammarazzi posts of her family it made me think I hadn’t taken our lot for a while. So it was off to the studio, well the dining room really. I wanted something different than a straight forward portrait so came up with this idea.
    As usual c and c welcome

Mac T

Re: In The Frame

Variation on a theme, but very nicely done and even more important, they seem to be enjoying themslves.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Love the shots, really different and very effective, what did you use to frame them? and of course your kids are "Lush"

Joanne
      To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Comment

Dare I assume that you actually used a frame and then took everything superfluous out in photoshop? Much easier to get everything right that way instead of relying totally on photoshop.

(Stands by to be totally shot down, but that's how I would have done it. )

Colin
        Last edited by colin C; 01-03-2011, 23:06.
        Colin

Comment

Mac T
          I like these a lot. I notice the 16-35 2.8 was used the 2nd without unflattering distortion to the faces
          My money's on a real frame too, but like Colin I'm prepared to be wrong :-)

Trev

Comment

Wonderful photos. Wondering whether I can "bully" the family into posing.
            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
            Di's Flickr

Comment

Thanks for the positive comments, the pic was taken using a standard picture frame, making sure that the models for the day didn’t put their fingers round the frame. Then selecting the frame and inverting the selection over a layer mask, you end up with what you see, other than a little bit of jiggery pokery round the hands. Hope that all makes sense .
              Mac T

Comment

Jiggery pokery I do understand.

Colin
                Colin

Comment

Sometimes Colin it’s that that makes all the difference. Still keen to do most of the work in camera, but a bit of fun sometimes just gives things a little lift. You with me on that?
                  Mac

Comment

I have seen people make a silk purse out of a sow's ear with photoshop and I have the skills to also do that. However, I much prefer to get it as right as it possibly can be in the camera and use Photoshop for that final bit of polish.

And as you said Mac, it is a bit of fun sometimes.

Colin
                    Colin

Comment

selecting the frame and inverting the selection over a layer mask
                      OK, so I don't understand what you're talking about, but I do like the pictures. I'm looking forward to learning about DPP and PSE9!

Nice shots, I liked them very much. Thanks for sharing. Mike
                      Last edited by mikep; 05-03-2011, 17:30.
                      flickr
                      5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

I like the idea but the images look quite a bit under exposed (check the histogram in Ps., and the skin tones lack natural colour and they lack contrast.

Like I say I like the idea but just a tweak with the lights and colour balance and they would have been much better.
                        5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Originally posted by Mac T View Post
                          . .. . . . Still keen to do most of the work in camera, but a bit of fun sometimes just gives things a little lift. You with me on that? Mac
                          I think most of us are with you on that Mac. very nice set of pics and great idea with the frame.
                          David

EOS 1000D EFS18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Kenko DG Extension Tubes

Please bare with me on replies to your comments as my work commitments keep me away from here during the week.
                          All of your comments and advice are gratefully received and appreciated though

Comment

Working...
                          X